Draft Schedule & Meal Requirements - Input and a question

  • hdcii
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
      Hi All,

      Getting super excited about our upcoming through hike of the JMT this summer. I did the leg from Happy Isles to Devil's PostPile last summer and loved every moment. I can't wait to get back out there with my Sweetie and introduce her to the miracle that is the JMT!

      First, my quick question, I met a couple on the trail last year that had small gaiters on that went just above the ankles and covered the top of their trail runners. They said they did an awesome job of keeping out the sand and pebbles, a problem I had with my Brooks trail runners throughout. The only problem, I can't remember the name of the mini gaiters, Wing something or other I think - does anyone know what the name is and where I might be able to get them??

      I thought I'd share our first draft schedule and meal requirements plan and see if the veterans amongst us have input we should consider. Here is a link to it: http://bit.ly/YGvcjG

      As you can tell we are not planning to rush the journey and are not adverse to taking a couple down days in town. We did not include snacks yet but will add those in the plan later.

      A bit about us, we're both in our early 50's, in good shape, regular day hikers. I've done quite a bit of motorcycle camping and 2-3 day hiking/camping. Last year's 57 mile hike on the JMT was the longest extending camping for me. She has only done car camping with no extended overnight camping. She is very excited to do the JMT and other than a bit of fear of being cold at night/early AM she is really looking forward to it. She is a tiny, tiny person (size 0) so she can get cold easy. We're still trying to figure out the best clothing options for her. We're all set with a good sleep system.

      Due to living a simple life and saving hard we have the wonderful blessing of being able to retire young and so have a very flexible schedule and love to spend time stopping to "smell the roses." We don't want our JMT hike to be rushed or rigid.

      We recognize we haven't included all possible hiking miles, etc. This draft designed to give us a rough idea for meal quantity planning and resupply drops. We do plan to do other side hikes than the two noted. I put those two in and tried to plan slightly shorter days to take advantage of those side hikes. The other side hikes we want to do will probably just be part of the normal day since we are not usually planning overly long days with an average of about 9 miles a day. I was doing at least 10 last year and am in much better shape this year, she is in even better shape. Do you think that's a reasonable approach? Of course, if we hike faster we won't need as much food and have a bit of a cushion, hate to carry the extra weight but it does give us flexibility.

      So please, share your thoughts and advice on any aspect. If you'd like a copy of the spreadsheet like me know. Thanks!
      Dave & Debbie
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
        We have three file folders (among many, but of relevant to your post) that you might like to take advantage of, either to review or to upload your own file.

        Just another gentle reminder to encourage people to update either of the 2013 databases for your planned TH start/end on the JMT (either NOBO or SOBO headed), and/or the Cell Service Database (if you've done any part of the JMT and used a cell phone).

        To help create your own Plan, the master Wenks Spreadsheet is here (from her JMT book):

        _

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
          Thanks Roleigh! We have been thoroughly enjoying the resources you listed, very helpful in our planning to date! We are also in the Database, we're the 10+ group, leaving on 7/22. My kids and brother are starting the journey with us and will all drop off at various points along the way.

          > We have three file folders (among many, but of relevant to your post) that
          > you might like to take advantage of, either to review or to upload your own
          > file.

          > Just another gentle reminder to encourage people to update either of the
          > 2013 databases for your planned TH start/end on the JMT (either NOBO or
          > SOBO headed), and/or the Cell Service Database (if you've done any part of
          > the JMT and used a cell phone).

          > To help create your own Plan, the master Wenks Spreadsheet is here (from
          > her JMT book):

          > links)<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
          > _

        • Ray Rippel
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
            Good day, David,

            A glance at your spreadsheet would indicate that you have a well organized and thought out plan. This looks very doable for a couple of your age and fitness level.

            I am a boot, not a trail runner, dude, but I am a big fan of Dirty Girl gaiters. They are light and do a great job of keeping dirt and stones out of your boots or shoes.

            Last, whenever I here of a couple who are planning to hike together, I always suggest they read my blog post on the topic.

            Good hiking, Ray

            Ray Rippel

            Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

            http://jmtbook.com/

          • hdcii
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
              Hi Ray,

              Thank you for your kind words. We loved your post and both agree those are excellent rules that we'll incorporate into our hiking. We also went ahead and downloaded both "How to..." and "Wild" (recommended by one of your commenters) to our Nooks.

              Looking at the Dirty Girl gaiter web site I think those may very well have been the ones I saw!

              Thanks again for all the help,
              Dave & Debbie

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

              > Good day, David,
              >
              > A glance at your spreadsheet would indicate that you have a well organized
              > and thought out plan. This looks very doable for a couple of your age and
              > fitness level.
              >
              > I am a boot, not a trail runner, dude, but I am a big fan of Dirty Girl
              > gaiters. They are light and do a great job of keeping dirt and stones out
              > of your boots or shoes.
              >
              > Last, whenever I here of a couple who are planning to hike together, I
              > always suggest they read my blog post on the topic<http://jmtbook.com/?p=163>
              > .
              >
              > Good hiking, Ray
              >
              > Ray Rippel
              >
              > Author, *Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail*
              >
              > http://jmtbook.com/

            • Frank Dumville
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
                When doing my planning spreadsheets I list the day of week. If you are planning on sending a resupply to a Post Office you don't want to be showing up after it closes for the weekend and have to wait around until opening on Monday. It looks like you might be getting into Mammoth and Independence during a weekend so this may be a problem for you.

                Snap

                From: hdcii david.chamberlainii@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Frank, great point and it's something I put in my worksheet plan too (you can use an Excel function, Weekday to get the day of the week and via a separate tab where you keep the weekdays, you can do a Vlookup to show the day of the week that any day represents.

                  Red's Meadow General Store is open 7 days a week, no issue there, if that is where you are getting your pick up.  For Independence, you can have your supplies provided to you at the trailhead by any licensed packer who has license to service that location.  See our resupply folder for more information.  If you intend on staying overnight at a motel in Independence, some motels (see our crib sheet for more information), accept resupplies mailed to them.  So only if you are depending on the post office in Independence or Mammoth would you have an issue.
                  _

                  From: hdcii david.chamberlainii@...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 21, 2013
                    oh man - excellent point!!!! I don't think we'll actually end up sending any drops to PO's, probably a hotel in Mammoth, MTR, but still debating Independence, following up on some great tips on the board here for that. For Tuolumne we have some friends meeting us so we're fine there.

                    Love the idea, I'll add Day of week and keep that in mind - love this type of little insight that can save so many headaches later - thank you Frank!