[John Muir Trail] Re: 14 Day JMT Trip

  • beemancron
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
      Michel,

      I'll add another comment to Al's.

      Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
      smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
      of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
      processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
      time to an average of 2 hours.

      Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

      Paul
      The Beeman

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:

      > Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal
      about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very
      cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the
      top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August
      should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems
      with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth
      and not use a utensil.