Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Lodging question

  • Viraj Ward
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 18, 2013
      If  you want to camp, another option in Mammoth is the State Park, Shady Rest, which takes reservations.It's located across from the RV park
      But you could also make reservations at Motel 6 ( cheap, but the staff is super friendly to thru hikers), which is located along the shuttle route. However, if you plan to leave Mammoth to get on the trail to Reds in the early morning, before 8:00 am, you'll have to walk to "The Village" to get the shuttle up the mountain.

      Viraj

      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 9, 2014
        There are several campgrounds to choose from.  It would help to know if you are coming from the West (SF/OAK/SJC/SMF) or the East (RNO/LAS/MMH).

        The TM campground tends to be very busy, especially on weekends.  So you may need/want to try an alternative.  On the west side, White Wolf (~7900 feet, 25 mi to TM) and Porcupine Creek (~8100 feet, 13mi to TM) are easier to get into, especially Porcupine Creek. Porcupine does not have running water, just pit toilets, so you'll want to bring/buy a larger water container you can fill up at White Wolf or TM.  I'm not a fan of Yosemite Creek campground which is lower (~7200 feet) and has a ~5 mi dusty dirt access road.  Any of the upper campgrounds are near a number of excellent day hikes.

        If you enter from the west via highway 120, there is a permit office at the Big Oak Flat entrance station.  If you enter at or after 11 a.m., you can stop there and try for a next day permit.  Then you can stay 1 night at one of the backpacker camps (either TM or White Wolf) and have ~20 hours at altitude before heading out.  If you hike out of Lyell, there are campsites ~9 mi in before you do much climbing at around 9,000 feet.  That way you can get a second night at elevation before hard hiking over Donohue pass.  So you can ease in with only 1 day extra and may not need 2.