Re: [John Muir Trail] Places to camp near Yosemite

  • bp
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2013
      Thank you all for the recommendations. I didn't even realize until reading your posts that there are some first come, first serve spaces in most campsites. I also didn't realize the number of choices outside the park. White Wolf sounds perfect. Diamnod O looks good too, but the reservable sites at Diamnod O are already taken. I've always avoided Yosemite because of the crowds, but now I am looking forward to being there knowing that a few days into my hike, things will calm down.

      I did call Reserve America and the woman I spoke with was surprising patient and helpful given the number of calls her office must be receiving today. I told her my situation and she found a spot for me at a place called Kelty Meadows. Now, having looked at a map more carefully, I would prefer something off HWY 120, which seems to be more direct (I am coming from the North) But, I'm sure Kelty would be okay if need be. If I do leave out of Glacier Point for my JMT trip, I may day hike the Mist Trail with my husband the day before just to see the beauty of the place. I'm a first-timer and don't want to miss a thing!