Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: it's permit time!!

  • Alex Cheng
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2013
      The 4 mile trail to GP is indeed very steep and difficult - just like the Snow Creek trail.  To me, the key difference between the two trails is the sun exposure on the Snow Creek trail.  From mid-morning, you're pretty much receiving full sun exposure on the Snow Creek trail, and it's really HOT until you reach the crest (footbridge) where there are some very nice campsites that have stunning views of the sun setting on Half Dome.  There are also some nice swimming holes not far from the campsites.

      Why this might be useful information for JMTers is because the Snow Creek trail is another way to get from Yosemite Valley (Snow Creek TH is near HI) to Tuolumne Meadows...