Re: John Muir Trail--pleas for advice

  • jonhartsel
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7 11:23 AM
      my friend and I unexpectedly had to leave the trail at VVR about 2
      weeks ago due to an injury, within 24 hours of hanging out at the VVR
      (not an unpleasant place, after being on the trail) we were able
      hitch a ride with one of their staff who was heading to Fresno to
      pick up supplies (we paid for gas). As long as you are not on too
      tight a schedule, my feeling is that from the VVR you should be able
      to find a way down to Fresno without too much trouble

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote:

      > Exiting VVR is a pain, but it is on the west side of the mountains.
      I would choose Florence Lake by Muir Ranch instead. It is accessible
      from Fresno. It is about 2 days more than VVR (but a much shorter
      drive), but 1/2 day less than the Piute trail jct (but you then have
      20 hard miles to get out, and Piute exits you on the east side, so if
      you are going west it is a pain). If you email Muir Ranch they can
      tell you more about accessing the trail from Florence Lake. This
      would be about a 115 mile hike from Happy Isles.
      > Kevin Aston
      >
      > Melanie Rheaume <mellysbelly@...> wrote: Hi Kevin-
      > I'm scrambling together a grand last-minute plan to hike the John
      Muir Trail beginning this August (yes, less than three weeks from
      now...) and am hoping you can give me a little advice. My older
      sister flew from NH to California for a quick "visit" before
      beginning the trail, and for the past two months she's been camped in
      my tiny house planting evil little seeds in my brain. She's crafty,
      that one. So here I am, intrigued and dropping everything to hike
      the trail with her, but I can't possibly give up three to four weeks
      to finish the entire trail (though I'm only 29 and a once-avid
      backpacker, I'm not the spry spring chicken I was back in my packing
      peak). I've been searching for a relatively easy exit point, and
      found your web page... How easy was exiting from Vermilion Valley?
      From Piute Pass? Do you have any tips on transportation? I'm thinking
      of driving my car to Happy Isles, but would prefer public
      transportation if it's feasible.
      > Any advice you can share would be hugely appreciated. I'm already
      appreciating the inspiration--tackling the trail despite two back
      surgeries... now that's impressive.