Re: [John Muir Trail] iPod Touch Update

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
    Good morning, everyone,

    I don't want to get into a back-and-forth, but I think "PDF books display horribly on tablets" needs a response. Here are a few facts:

       - Planning Your Thru-Hike on the John Muir Trail was designed to look best on the iPad and uses every pixel of that device. I was shooting for a bit more than "horrible."

       - The text size on the iPad is about the size you'll find in a printed book, and MUCH BIGGER than you will find in a typical printed magazine, even with the entire page displayed on the iPad. I don't think every book and magazine published before the age of computers looked "horrible" because I had to put my glasses on to read them.

       - To illustrate that point, take a look at the two photos, attached. The first is from Ms. Wenk's fine book. The second is from my small effort. If you size the photos the same, you'll see that the text size is practically identical. If you can read her book without glasses, you can read mine. If you need glasses for hers, you will for mine.

       - Most of us have probably seen a National Geographic magazine. Take a look at the text size; it's much smaller than you'll find in Planning Your Thru-Hike on the John Muir Trail. It is also graphically rich--it isn't just a block of text followed by a photo followed by more text, etc. In the magazine, colors, varying text size, placement of the photos on the page--everything is carefully selected and placed to add to the experience. That was the intent of my book, from the beginning. I wanted to take advantage of the iPad's gorgeous display to produce something beautiful.

       - Just to be clear (and to paraphrase Mr. Bentson to Mr. Quayle): I've read National Geographic magazine, I know National Geographic magazine. My book's no National Geographic magazine!

    I have nothing against Kindles; I have a Kindle app for my iPad and often read on it. That said, the Kindle file formats do not allow for any but the most basic of graphic design. That's why there is iBooks, Zinio, Adobe DPS and other formats out there to take full advantage of the iPad.

    Good hiking, Ray

    Ray Rippel

    Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

    http://jmtbook.com/

    Follow me at: www.twitter.com/JMTBook

    On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

    PDF books display horribly on tablets or smartphones or the Ipod Touch.  I begged Ray to come out with a Kindle book.  I don't know why he did not.  PDF books are best read on very large screen monitors, like 20" or larger.  Now if one has 20/10 vision, then perhaps smaller screens are suitable to read PDF books on.

    Message 2 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
      I explained this to Ray last year.  I am 63 years old.  I am not alone when I say this.  There is a huge market for large size font books and to a large degree, the Kindle has removed the need to produce and buy large size font books.  With the Kindle, one can set the font size to be whatever is comfortable for one's eyes.

      A younger person with good vision can read Ray's book just fine with an Ipad (but not an Ipod Touch!).  An older person whose eyes are not as good anymore will not find reading Ray's book or any PDF book comfortable on an Ipad, because when you enlarge the font in a PDF, the page all of a sudden becomes larger than the screen size and you have to scroll the page around to read the page -- it is a super headache.

      With the Kindle, when you enlarge the font size, the page size stays equal to the screen size, fewer words appear on a given page, but nobody has to scroll the page around to read the page.  It is very easy and it works on Smartphones and Ipod Touches just great.
      _

      On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Ray Rippel included below]

[...]

    • Darryl
      Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
        Roleigh,
        Thanks for sticking up for us older hikers who need reading glasses to get by.
        Darryl

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:>
        > With the Kindle, when you enlarge the font size, the page size stays equal
        > to the screen size, fewer words appear on a given page, but nobody has to
        > scroll the page around to read the page. It is very easy and it works on
        > Smartphones and Ipod Touches just great.
      • sanfran_rwood
        Message 4 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "charliepolecat" <kennethjessett@...> wrote:
          > Not to mention that in an emergency, the paperback book can make a nice
          > fire starter. How many fires can you get out of the electronic thingies?

          Probably quite a few.
          http://www.backpacker.com/start_a_fire_with_your_cellphone/videos/82

          (Note that many modern gizmos make it quite tough to get the battery out, though.)
          --
          Richard
        • zoey_leb
          Message 5 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
            Have you considered a regular Kindle? I got one a couple years ago for the trail, and it was great. I had Wenk's book plus plenty of other reading material. I was originally considering taking my Touch, but didn't want to be stressed daily with recharging.

            I just upgraded for this year's hiking to the Kindle Paperwhite, 7.5 ounces, backlit, and right now I'm testing to see if the promise of 8 weeks of battery life is true. There's another Kindle that's lighter, 5.98 ounces, but it's not backlit and has 4 weeks of battery.
          • Joe MacLeish
            Message 6 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013

              Is this Kindle color.  Can it do a color bird book or plant book?

              Joe

              Message 7 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
                Well, lets look at this from a different perspective. I'm 68 years old and am not alone when I say this. I read PDF books/docs on my Iphone and Ipad just fine. Frankly I find enlarged text a pain, particularly on an Iphone when you end up with very little text per time flipping pages. Books aren't ideal on an Iphone in general but one deals with some inconvenience in trade for the convenience of all the device offers.
                Ray's book is well... Ray's book. He published it in the format he wanted and apparently with more than a little research. Why that would confound anyone is beyond me.
              • zoey_leb
                Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14, 2013
                  No, it's not color, they are much heavier and don't have the battery life. The 8 weeks of life assumes 30 minutes a day, the best color would be 3 weeks and 13.9 oz.

                  But one of the earlier bird guide authors (I don't remember who) thought you would be a better birder with black and white art--he thought the color interfered with identification.