Re: John Muir Trail--pleas for advice

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008
      Exiting VVR is a pain, but it is on the west side of the mountains. I would choose Florence Lake by Muir Ranch instead. It is accessible from Fresno. It is about 2 days more than VVR (but a much shorter drive), but 1/2 day less than the Piute trail jct (but you then have 20 hard miles to get out, and Piute exits you on the east side, so if you are going west it is a pain). If you email Muir Ranch they can tell you more about accessing the trail from Florence Lake. This would be about a 115 mile hike from Happy Isles.
      Kevin Aston

      Melanie Rheaume <mellysbelly@...> wrote: Hi Kevin-
      I'm scrambling together a grand last-minute plan to hike the John Muir Trail beginning this August (yes, less than three weeks from now...) and am hoping you can give me a little advice. My older sister flew from NH to California for a quick "visit" before beginning the trail, and for the past two months she's been camped in my tiny house planting evil little seeds in my brain. She's crafty, that one. So here I am, intrigued and dropping everything to hike the trail with her, but I can't possibly give up three to four weeks to finish the entire trail (though I'm only 29 and a once-avid backpacker, I'm not the spry spring chicken I was back in my packing peak). I've been searching for a relatively easy exit point, and found your web page... How easy was exiting from Vermilion Valley? From Piute Pass? Do you have any tips on transportation? I'm thinking of driving my car to Happy Isles, but would prefer public transportation if it's feasible.
      Any advice you can share would be hugely appreciated. I'm already appreciating the inspiration--tackling the trail despite two back surgeries... now that's impressive.
      Thanks,
      Melanie Rheaume

    • jonhartsel
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2008
        my friend and I unexpectedly had to leave the trail at VVR about 2
        weeks ago due to an injury, within 24 hours of hanging out at the VVR
        (not an unpleasant place, after being on the trail) we were able
        hitch a ride with one of their staff who was heading to Fresno to
        pick up supplies (we paid for gas). As long as you are not on too
        tight a schedule, my feeling is that from the VVR you should be able
        to find a way down to Fresno without too much trouble

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote:

        > Exiting VVR is a pain, but it is on the west side of the mountains.
        I would choose Florence Lake by Muir Ranch instead. It is accessible
        from Fresno. It is about 2 days more than VVR (but a much shorter
        drive), but 1/2 day less than the Piute trail jct (but you then have
        20 hard miles to get out, and Piute exits you on the east side, so if
        you are going west it is a pain). If you email Muir Ranch they can
        tell you more about accessing the trail from Florence Lake. This
        would be about a 115 mile hike from Happy Isles.
        > Kevin Aston
        >
        > Melanie Rheaume <mellysbelly@...> wrote: Hi Kevin-
        > I'm scrambling together a grand last-minute plan to hike the John
        Muir Trail beginning this August (yes, less than three weeks from
        now...) and am hoping you can give me a little advice. My older
        sister flew from NH to California for a quick "visit" before
        beginning the trail, and for the past two months she's been camped in
        my tiny house planting evil little seeds in my brain. She's crafty,
        that one. So here I am, intrigued and dropping everything to hike
        the trail with her, but I can't possibly give up three to four weeks
        to finish the entire trail (though I'm only 29 and a once-avid
        backpacker, I'm not the spry spring chicken I was back in my packing
        peak). I've been searching for a relatively easy exit point, and
        found your web page... How easy was exiting from Vermilion Valley?
        From Piute Pass? Do you have any tips on transportation? I'm thinking