[John Muir Trail] Re: Transport Options - Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
      Talked to the dispatcher here:

      http://www.mammoth-taxi.com/

      They run local taxi and long distance shuttle service.

      After the Devils Postpile shuttle stops running, they're allowed to
      enter the park.

      For local taxi, it's $50 for pickup @ Agnews, Red's or DP and will
      take you back to Mammoth Mountain Inn (MMI). Can call on demand.
      He also recommended the aforementioned THUMB alternative given the
      price.

      Same company runs long distance shuttle service and can meet you at
      trailhead. Cost is $150 for 1-2 people back to T'me (various other
      destinations and pricing also posted on site). You need to book a
      week in advance and need to be relatively sure what day/time or else
      the waiting charges could add up.

      His suggestion was to park at MMI and ride his shuttle up to T'me
      (then taxi or THUMB back to car at MMI when done). It obviously
      costs way more than YARTS but you're not forced into being at a
      specific location at 7AM (and they'll get you there in 1/2 the time).

      Still considering options, but a bit loath to spend $150 just to
      have to pay another $50 for the taxi or have to THUMB back to the
      car. Probably (more than) split the difference by parking at MMI,
      YARTing up to T'me and taxiing out to the car when done.

      Hope this helps anyone else looking for info on the subject.

      Also found this link: http://www.mtwhitneyshuttle.com/

      Their site says they have trailhead service that covers Eastern
      Sierras (incl. T'me) and connections to YARTS. But have not
      contacted them.