Onion Valley resupply

  • Dave Webb
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2013
    If anyone is interested in resupplying at Onion Valley, I have attached the information that I received from Dee Berner of Pine Creek Pack Station.

    Dave

  • Marna
    Message 2 of 13 , Mar 10, 2013
      Thanks, Dave. I had not considered this before, but now I'm seriously thinking about it.
      Marna

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Dave Webb <davewebb15@...> wrote:

      > If anyone is interested in resupplying at Onion Valley, I have attached the information that I received from Dee Berner of Pine Creek Pack Station.
      >
      > Dave

    • macliyo
      Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12

        I've read that starting last season you are no longer allowed to store your resupply in the bear boxes at Onion Valley near the trailhead. I was wondering if there is a definitive answer as I've seen this as a suggestion on this forum. Thanks

        Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12
          Last year in mid-July I saw labelled resupply packages left there (many) and saw no signs prohibiting them.

          I'll ask a few people who might know.

          On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 12:55 PM macliyo@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I've read that starting last season you are no longer allowed to store your resupply in the bear boxes at Onion Valley near the trailhead. I was wondering if there is a definitive answer as I've seen this as a suggestion on this forum. Thanks

          1616 Castro St.
          San Francisco, CA 94114

              Message 7 of 13 , Feb 14
                I used them for this purpose at the end of July last year.  There were hundreds of caches of food in the many bear boxes.  The ranger there was reminding people to make sure that their names and pickup dates were on each container.

                There was a change in that Paul no longer provides the service of dropping your items off at the best boxes for a modest fee - maybe that is what you "heard"??

                Happy Hiking!

                On Feb 12, 2017, at 12:54 PM, macliyo@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I've read that starting last season you are no longer allowed to store your resupply in the bear boxes at Onion Valley near the trailhead. I was wondering if there is a definitive answer as I've seen this as a suggestion on this forum. Thanks

              • patrick faehndrich

                  Message 9 of 13 , Feb 18
                    …what are the best boxes (@onion valley)?

                    They're all equally sufficient I think. It would be most convenient to know which box your resupply is in though so you don't have to search every box. I assume Ned's comment below is a typo. He probably means "bear" boxes, not "best" boxes.

                    If you are having someone else drop off your resupply bucket(s) or package(s) it might be helpful to put a unique, colorful tape on just in case you have to search through every bear locker.

                    BTW: You can also have Sequoia Kings Packers hold your resupply for a reasonable fee then you can just go to their Onion Valley pack station and pick it up. It's right there near the trail head.

                  • nztube
                    Message 10 of 13 , May 6

                      I am trying to get information on resupplying at the pack station at the Onion Valley trailhead.  We are section hiking the PCT and would like to resupply there. I haven't been able to find any current information on rates and general procedures.   Thanks for any help.

                      Happy hiking,

                      Rick

                    • Bruce Goodman
                      Message 11 of 13 , May 6
                        You'll want to contact Pine Creek Pack Station, AKA Sequoia Kings Pack Trains.  They can be hard to get ahold of. Keep trying. Here are a few numbers.
                        (760) 920-5588
                        (760) 387-2627
                        (800) 962-0775
                        Ask for Danica.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On May 6, 2017, at 6:29 PM, nztube@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        I am trying to get information on resupplying at the pack station at the Onion Valley trailhead.  We are section hiking the PCT and would like to resupply there. I haven't been able to find any current information on rates and general procedures.   Thanks for any help.

                        Happy hiking,

                        Rick

                      • datadan_1
                        Message 12 of 13 , May 7
                          This information worked for me.

                          I'll add:
                          pinecreekps@...

                          also they charge by weight of your resupply.

                        • Rick
                          Message 13 of 13 , May 7
                            Thank you Bruce and Datadan for the information.

                            Sent from my iPad