resuppy south of MTR

  • dnelsonjmt813
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
      I'll be doing Happy Isle to Mt Whitney to Crescent Meadow starting Aug 2nd. That's right, I'm doing the JMT AND HST in one shot.
      Anyone have tips for resupplying south of MTR possibly even at or near Whitney. I'd rather not leave the trail and go into Onion Valley if I can avoid it.

      Doug
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
        Contact Danica Berner (see our links or files for contact info under resupply) to see if she's doing a dropoff for someone else the day you'll be walking past the Kearsarge Pass/JMT junction, it's inexpensive to piggy back someone else's drop.  That would be the ideal drop zone for you.  Also, you could go from Whitney into Lone Pine, then via a second permit start at Horseshoe Meadow TH and go up the PCT to Crabtree Meadows and get on the HST there.  Since you've already done Whitney, there is no real requirement to do it again.  So you have two options then.

        _

        On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM, dnelsonjmt813 <dnelsonjmt813@...> wrote:

        I'll be doing Happy Isle to Mt Whitney to Crescent Meadow starting Aug 2nd. That's right, I'm doing the JMT AND HST in one shot.
        Anyone have tips for resupplying south of MTR possibly even at or near Whitney. I'd rather not leave the trail and go into Onion Valley if I can avoid it.

        Doug

      • cehauser1
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
          Hi Doug:

          I'm going to try the same thing in late August, and like you, I don't feel like taking the time to go down to Independence or Lone Pine, and I don't feel rich enough to pay for the resupply from Berner's. Several weeks ago, I posted a similar question on this JMT board, and here's my plan based on suggestions from other folks here:

          1. I plan to hike fast and light. I'm going to try for 20 miles per day, so the extra 55 miles of the HST will only be 3 extra days of food.
          2. I am choosing calorie-dense foods... lots of peanut butter, lots of nuts, dried coconut, etc. I will be adding 3-4 tablespoons of canola oil to other foods (delicious in mashed potatoes and other warm starchy meals). It works out to 1.3 pounds (3500 calories) per day, and takes relatively little space. I'm using a Bear Vault BV450, and I think I can fit about 8 days of food into it. Also, it is possible to fit small loose snacks into the interstitial spaces in the bear vault.
          3. When I resupply from MTR, I will eat two big meals that I've sent myself... the type of heavy high-calorie food I wouldn't normally carry. Dinner of pre-cooked brown rice, Indian food, chocolate drink... breakfast of similar heavy yet calorie-dense food. It will be a chance to load up on calories and diversify my menu.
          4. From my MTR resupply, any food that doesn't fit in the bear canister can be hung or put into an odor-proof sack. I have read that it is legal to use something other than a bear canister for the middle third of the JMT, so when I get past this area, I'll need to make sure everything fits into the bear canister again. (Not sure where bear canisters are required again, but am researching this stuff.)
          5. When I get to Crabtree Meadows, I'll see if there is any extra food from other hikers. I've been told that when SOBO hikers near the end of their JMT hike at Crabtree, they don't want to haul extra food over Trail Pass, so they tend to leave extra food behind in bear boxes (which gets collected and taken to the Crabtree Meadows Ranger Station), or otherwise they will be happy to share extra food. Perhaps an opportunity to do this at Kern Hot Spring too.
          6. There's a High Sierra Camp at Bearpaw Meadow, about 11.5 miles before the end of the HST. They have a small store there, and there's an off chance that they might sell a small amount of packaged food in the store. I'll check on that. However, like MTR, they only serve hot meals to their guests, not backpackers.

          Best of luck,

          Chris.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2013
            On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM, cehauser1 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            4. From my MTR resupply, any food that doesn't fit in the bear canister can be hung or put into an odor-proof sack. I have read that it is legal to use something other than a bear canister for the middle third of the JMT, so when I get past this area, I'll need to make sure everything fits into the bear canister again. (Not sure where bear canisters are required again, but am researching this stuff.)

            Going South from MTR, first place where bearcan required (rather than recommended) in Pinchot Pass. Until then, you can legally counterbalance hang. Not easy to find a branch appropriate for the purpose, but possible. I suggest an Ursack (as well as an odorproof sack) to make it unlikely that a bear who defeats your hang gets a food reward. But it's not the OP sack or the Ursack that keeps you legal, it's the counterbalance hang.

            Info on proper hanging technique here:

            There are bearboxes at many locations along the JMT starting south from Woods Creek as far as Crabtree and any of them may contain discarded food. Hopefully, anyone who had left food in them while dayhiking will have so indicated but it's better to take food only where clearly labelled as abandoned.

            Map of bearbox locations here

            http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/map.html

            Click on the area of your interest for detailed instructions on finding the boxes.

            With the kind of high density foods you describe, you can get a lot of calories into a BearVault "weekender".  My personal best weas close to 24,000 calories.

            Suggestion. Get a good plastic jar. Fill it 1/4 way with Nutella and the force a bunch of almonds or macademia nuts into the Nutella. Add Nutella and nuts alternately until the jar is packed solid. Very concentrated calories and you have eliminated the voids between the nuts. The nuts also cut the sweetness of the Nutella, which can be overwhelming. Very tasty, compact and high-calorie

            Consider dried hummus powder for a highly compact lunch. It can be made with lots of Canola Oil if you like the flavor though better with olive oil.  Proportions are 1/3 cup powder, 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup oil. There is a 0.5 liter Platypus bladder that is good for carrying vegetable oil without waste space.

          • juliebinion@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2013
              By applying slow & steady pressure on the Bear Vault contents... we were each able to fit 11 days worth of food when resupplying at MTR! It worked well for us with no need to worry about running out of food. BTW, ghee was the best flavor/calorie enhancer to our meals! Happy planning!

              ... I'm going to try the same thing in late August, and like you, I don't feel like taking the time to go down to Independence or Lone Pine, and I don't feel rich enough to pay for the resupply from Berner's.
            • Frank Dumville
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2013
                I like to use dried black bean soup mix with some dried hummus mixed in for a compact lunch. I add a little water and olive oil before lunch and let it hyrdate while I hike. I also use dried black beans or black bean soup mix in many of my dinners.

                Anyone new to using a bear can should review the information about packing food in the file archives under bears and food. Then practice packing your can. I find that it can take several attempts to fit in the most food.

                Snap

                From: John Ladd <johnladd@...>

                Consider dried hummus powder for a highly compact lunch.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2013
                  On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Frank Dumville <nccctsd@...> wrote:
                  I like to use dried black bean soup mix with some dried hummus mixed in for a compact lunch

                  Great idea. I've similarly added rehydrated sundried tomatoes to field-mixed hummus, to give some flavor variety to my hummus, which can get monotonous. Never thought about some of the black bean soup, though I always have some for dinners. Lemonade powder also serves for some hummus variety, as does a small dropper jar of the Vietnamese hot sauce (the kind with the Rooster on the label)

                • cehauser1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
                    Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions.