RE: [John Muir Trail] Resupply in Bishop

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 4, 2008
      It's like the rain��you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots on 395 and that was that��they never made it back up and into the mountains. Never sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store . . . fight the urge.

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: pilgrimat2k@...
      Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Resupply in Bishop

      I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

    • Scott Dowling
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 4, 2008
        Yeah I know what you mean. I might get a ride then again maybe not. I've seen lots of folks on the AT that did just that, went into town and never returned. Last time I did the JMT I packed straight thru from VVR to Whitney Portal and I said that I'd never do that again. That's the reason for resupply in Bishop.

        It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but
        I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you
        might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into
        town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of
        JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots on
        395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains. Never

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 4, 2008
          yep, I would probably be one of those never to head back up the pass folks, but a resupp at the VVR has always been just fine with me (along with scrounging in the bear boxes, hitting up the rangers and week-enders, always looking to drop some weight)

          sparklefart.blogspot.com

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: pilgrimat2k@...
          Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:21:53 -0700

          From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          From: pilgrimat2k@...

          Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700

          I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering

          how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the

          Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

        • julesnmaya
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 4, 2008
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...>
            wrote:

            > I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering
            how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming
            off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

            We left from South Lake on a Sunday in mid July and we ran into a
            number of day hikers so I think you would have good luck on a weekend.
            I'm not sure about a weekday. Not that you asked, but that is a
            longgg uphill through Dusy Basin (stunning though) over Bishop Pass
            from the JMT junction. Have you given any thought to resupplying over
            Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley in Independence. This town is really
            small though and I noticed the grocery store is closed, but there is a
            small market attached to the gas station. You could hitchhike to Lone
            Pine, though--which has a lot more options. Bishop is a quite a bit
            farther north. Anyway, some info to consider. Julie
          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 4, 2008
              Scott, when are you doing this? Barbara

              _____

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 4, 2008
                I’ll probably be one of those weekenders - Aug 8-14, Big Pete Meadow, Dusy
                Basin - I bet I’ll want to be giving away a few bars by then…..Barbara

                _____

                From: pilgrimat2k@ <mailto:pilgrimat2k%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com
                Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:21:53 -0700

                --- On Tue, 8/5/08, robert shattuck <bobolonius@hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius%

                From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius%40hotmail.com>
                com>

                To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots
                on

                395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.
                Never

                sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .
                . .

                fight the urge.

                sparklefart.blogspot.com

                To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                From: pilgrimat2k@ <mailto:pilgrimat2k%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700

                I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering

                how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the

                Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Its about 1 1/2 day hike out and the same back in. There is a rock slide that took out a section of the the trail on Bishop Pass, so you have to pick your own way for a mile or so. Once you get to South Lake it is a 15+ mile ride to town. I see getting the ride back harder than the ride in. South Lake is a busy place. It will take you longer to get from the Bishop pass trail to South lake and back than it will to get from Muir Ranch to the Bishop Trail, plus you add in the 2 extra passes going over Bishop Pass 2 times.
                  Kevin
                  www.kevinaston.com

                  Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...> wrote: I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                • Scott Dowling
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                    Julie, I thought about going into Independence, but it just seemed like Bishop even with the climb out of the canyon would be a better option considering a planned day off with more amminties there. I guess I'll find out. thanks for the info.
                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                      Barbara, thanks for the offer, but you'll be out before I get there. I'm not leaving Happy Isles until the 14th. .... Scott

                      From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>
                      com>

                      To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                      Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                      It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                      I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                      might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                      town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                      JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots
                      on

                      395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.
                      Never

                      sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .
                      .. .

                      fight the urge.

                      sparklefart. blogspot. com

                      To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                      From: pilgrimat2k@ <mailto:pilgrimat2k %40yahoo. com> yahoo.com

                      Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700

                      I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering

                      how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the

                      Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                      Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.

                      http://www.windowsl
                      <http://www.windowsl ive.com/default. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Home_082008> ive.
                      com/default. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Home_082008

                      Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before.
                      http://clk.atdmt <http://clk.atdmt com/MRT/go/ 108587394/ direct/01/>

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                        Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide is another thing.
                        How bad is the slide and is it on the Dusy Basin side of the pass or the South Lake side and is it a wide area that can be easily navigated around? I have a mail drop going to Bishop, but could re-direct it to Independence if need be.
                        Thanks for you input.....Scott

                        Its about 1 1/2 day hike out and the same back in. There is a rock slide that took out a section of the the trail on Bishop Pass, so you have to pick your own way for a mile or so. Once you get to South Lake it is a 15+ mile ride to town. I see getting the ride back harder than the ride in. South Lake is a busy place. It will take you longer to get from the Bishop pass trail to South lake and back than it will to get from Muir Ranch to the Bishop Trail, plus you add in the 2 extra passes going over Bishop Pass 2 times.
                        Kevin
                        www.kevinaston. com

                        Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com> wrote: I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                      • John Hagelman
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                          In reply to hitching a ride out of South Lake Trailhead after coming out Bishop's Pass, a friend of mine and I accomplished this easily a week ago yesterday.   The parking lot was full and there is only one way in/out.  We only waited about 30 minutes before a nice couple from North Carolina picked us and our packs up and drove us to Bishop.  Hope that helps.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                            Scott, see you on the trail––I should be walking out of happy isles morning of the 16th, but I've shaved about 25lbs from my gear, so I'll be moving a little faster and farther each day. (no more 55lbs pack at the END of my trips!) bob

                            sparklefart.blogspot.com

                            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                            From: pilgrimat2k@...
                            Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                            From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...>

                            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 5:19 AM

                            From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                            com>

                            To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                              Robert, I'll be looking over my shoulder for you to pass me by. I too have ditched the 55 lbs of pack weight. The last time I hiked JMT I was at 55, but this time I'm coming in around 30-35. Still heavier than I want but much better....Scott

                              To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
                              From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com
                              Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                              From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                              com>

                              To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                              Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                              It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                              I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                              might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                              town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                              JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots

                              on

                              395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.

                              Never

                              sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .

                              ... .

                              fight the urge.

                              sparklefart. blogspot. com

                              To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                                John, I don't think that I'll have too much trouble catching a ride into Bishop, but it may be a little more dificult getting back to the trail, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                                  Sadly, I may have to cancel altogether, my JMT, or at least put it off for another week and leave by the 26th . . . hey, less bugs.

                                  The only good side to this, is that I signed up or applied for the Discovery Channels, "ALASKA PROJECT." the entry deadline was today and I just got the video done last night.

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_UaMaEmL8I

                                  so . . . but they've already called me and want, or plan on doing an interview on the 23rd . . . I gotta say––I've done the trail enough, but it still really sucks to suddenly have to postpone or even cancel. cross your Leki's for me, please.

                                  bob

                                  sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: pilgrimat2k@...
                                  Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:05:27 -0700

                                  From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                  Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 3:42 PM

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                                  From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com

                                  Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                                  From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. com>

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                                  Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 5:19 AM

                                  From: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:johnmuirtra il@ yahoogroups. com]

                                  On Behalf Of robert shattuck

                                  From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                                  com>

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    Robert, Good luck on the Alaska Project. I wish the best for you. Maybe I'll see you up the trail sometime....Scott

                                    From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com
                                    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:05:27 -0700

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                                    From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com

                                    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                                    From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                                    com>

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                    Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                                    It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                                    I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                                    might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                                    town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                                    JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots

                                    on

                                    395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.

                                    Never

                                    sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .

                                    .... .

                                    fight the urge.

                                    sparklefart. blogspot. com

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 6, 2008
                                      I did not hike over Bishop Pass, so I don't know. I know about it because there were signs talking about it when I picked up my permit in Bishop. The McClure ranger also talked about it. I passed a lot of people who came that way, so it is passable. I understand that the area is so unstable that they are not planning on rebuilding the trail at this time. Here is another thought for you guys determined to add 40 miles on for a resupply. There is a trail from Evolution Lake to North Lake that is only 13 miles. It does go over a 13,000 foot pass, and is a cross country trail, but it also is 13 miles instead of 20-25 miles each way. I think it is called the Lamarck Trail. It does not show on Mapsource, but I did see it on some of the hard copy maps I looked at. The ranger uses this trail saying it was a lot easier than Bishop or Piute.
                                      Kevin Aston

                                      Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...> wrote: Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide is another thing.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
                                        wrote:

                                        > Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide
                                        is another thing.
                                        > How bad is the slide and is it on the Dusy Basin side of the pass or
                                        the South Lake side and is it a wide area that can be easily navigated
                                        around? I have a mail drop going to Bishop, but could re-direct it to
                                        Independence if need be.
                                        > Thanks for you input.....Scott

                                        way through the boulders in a few minutes. It is on the South Lake
                                        side of the pass. Julie

                                      • Scott Dowling
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
                                          Kevin, thanks for the info. I'll check and see what I can find out about that trail to North Lake. I've thought about just pushing on to Kersarge Pass and going into Independence or possibly just packing a little extra food at VVR and pushing on to Whitney Portal, that's what I did the last time I hiked JMT. Just didn't want to carry that much weight.
                                          Thanks again....Scott

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
                                            Julie, thanks for the info....Scott

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
                                              Bishop Pass is South Lake not North. I hiked the North Lake/Piute Pass trail. Its tough but not terrible. South Lake is about 15 miles less to hitch hike.
                                              Kevin Aston

                                              Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...> wrote: Kevin, thanks for the info. I'll check and see what I can find out about that trail to North Lake. I've thought about just pushing on to Kersarge Pass and going into Independence or possibly just packing a little extra food at VVR and pushing on to Whitney Portal, that's what I did the last time I hiked JMT. Just didn't want to carry that much weight.
                                              Thanks again....Scott

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 15, 2008
                                                I just returned from a 7 day trip which included going both ways over Bishop
                                                Pass. The slide is on the South Lake side, about 1/3 of the way up. When
                                                we got our permit the ranger told us about it briefly and just said not to
                                                hang around in the slide area, just keep walking! When you get to the slide
                                                area, there is an easy to walk trail now created, and mule packers also go
                                                over there regularly. There is a sign at each end of the slide area,
                                                warning that the area is unstable, rock slides are unpredictable (!) and not
                                                to delay while walking through the slide area until you get to the next
                                                sign. It takes maybe 10 minutes to walk through (depending on if you're
                                                going up or down etc). Lots of people are hiking through it, but it did
                                                make me a little anxious, and it was a huge fall, with fresh rock all
                                                around. Would I go that way again - of course, if I had to! Barbara

                                                _____

                                                --- On Thu, 8/7/08, Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston.