Resupply in Bishop

  • Scott Dowling
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 4 7:42 PM
      I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 4 8:02 PM
        It's like the rain��you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots on 395 and that was that��they never made it back up and into the mountains. Never sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store . . . fight the urge.

        sparklefart.blogspot.com

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: pilgrimat2k@...
        Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Resupply in Bishop

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 4 8:21 PM
          Yeah I know what you mean. I might get a ride then again maybe not. I've seen lots of folks on the AT that did just that, went into town and never returned. Last time I did the JMT I packed straight thru from VVR to Whitney Portal and I said that I'd never do that again. That's the reason for resupply in Bishop.

          It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but
          I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you
          might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into
          town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of
          JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots on
          395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains. Never

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 4 8:43 PM
            yep, I would probably be one of those never to head back up the pass folks, but a resupp at the VVR has always been just fine with me (along with scrounging in the bear boxes, hitting up the rangers and week-enders, always looking to drop some weight)

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: pilgrimat2k@...
            Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:21:53 -0700

            From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            From: pilgrimat2k@...

            Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700

            I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering

            how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the

            Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

          • julesnmaya
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 4 10:14 PM
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...>
              wrote:

              > I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering
              how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming
              off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

              We left from South Lake on a Sunday in mid July and we ran into a
              number of day hikers so I think you would have good luck on a weekend.
              I'm not sure about a weekday. Not that you asked, but that is a
              longgg uphill through Dusy Basin (stunning though) over Bishop Pass
              from the JMT junction. Have you given any thought to resupplying over
              Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley in Independence. This town is really
              small though and I noticed the grocery store is closed, but there is a
              small market attached to the gas station. You could hitchhike to Lone
              Pine, though--which has a lot more options. Bishop is a quite a bit
              farther north. Anyway, some info to consider. Julie
            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 4 10:16 PM
                Scott, when are you doing this? Barbara

                _____

                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 4 10:19 PM
                  I’ll probably be one of those weekenders - Aug 8-14, Big Pete Meadow, Dusy
                  Basin - I bet I’ll want to be giving away a few bars by then…..Barbara

                  _____

                  From: pilgrimat2k@ <mailto:pilgrimat2k%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com
                  Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:21:53 -0700

                  --- On Tue, 8/5/08, robert shattuck <bobolonius@hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius%

                  From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius%40hotmail.com>
                  com>

                  To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                  It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                  I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                  might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                  town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                  JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots
                  on

                  395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.
                  Never

                  sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .
                  . .

                  fight the urge.

                  sparklefart.blogspot.com

                  To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                  From: pilgrimat2k@ <mailto:pilgrimat2k%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                  Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700

                  I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering

                  how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the

                  Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 5 8:23 AM
                    Its about 1 1/2 day hike out and the same back in. There is a rock slide that took out a section of the the trail on Bishop Pass, so you have to pick your own way for a mile or so. Once you get to South Lake it is a 15+ mile ride to town. I see getting the ride back harder than the ride in. South Lake is a busy place. It will take you longer to get from the Bishop pass trail to South lake and back than it will to get from Muir Ranch to the Bishop Trail, plus you add in the 2 extra passes going over Bishop Pass 2 times.
                    Kevin
                    www.kevinaston.com

                    Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...> wrote: I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                  • Scott Dowling
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 6 5:22 AM
                      Julie, I thought about going into Independence, but it just seemed like Bishop even with the climb out of the canyon would be a better option considering a planned day off with more amminties there. I guess I'll find out. thanks for the info.
                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 6 5:27 AM
                        Barbara, thanks for the offer, but you'll be out before I get there. I'm not leaving Happy Isles until the 14th. .... Scott

                        From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>
                        com>

                        To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                        Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                        It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                        I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                        might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                        town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                        JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots
                        on

                        395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.
                        Never

                        sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .
                        .. .

                        fight the urge.

                        sparklefart. blogspot. com

                        To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                        From: pilgrimat2k@ <mailto:pilgrimat2k %40yahoo. com> yahoo.com

                        Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:42:14 -0700

                        I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering

                        how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the

                        Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                        Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.

                        http://www.windowsl
                        <http://www.windowsl ive.com/default. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Home_082008> ive.
                        com/default. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Home_082008

                        Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before.
                        http://clk.atdmt <http://clk.atdmt com/MRT/go/ 108587394/ direct/01/>

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 6 7:11 AM
                          Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide is another thing.
                          How bad is the slide and is it on the Dusy Basin side of the pass or the South Lake side and is it a wide area that can be easily navigated around? I have a mail drop going to Bishop, but could re-direct it to Independence if need be.
                          Thanks for you input.....Scott

                          Its about 1 1/2 day hike out and the same back in. There is a rock slide that took out a section of the the trail on Bishop Pass, so you have to pick your own way for a mile or so. Once you get to South Lake it is a 15+ mile ride to town. I see getting the ride back harder than the ride in. South Lake is a busy place. It will take you longer to get from the Bishop pass trail to South lake and back than it will to get from Muir Ranch to the Bishop Trail, plus you add in the 2 extra passes going over Bishop Pass 2 times.
                          Kevin
                          www.kevinaston. com

                          Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com> wrote: I am going to resupply in Bishop and take a day off. I am wondering how hard it is to catch a ride at South Lake Trail head after coming off the Bishop Pass Trail and getting into Bishop?

                        • John Hagelman
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 6 8:04 AM
                            In reply to hitching a ride out of South Lake Trailhead after coming out Bishop's Pass, a friend of mine and I accomplished this easily a week ago yesterday.   The parking lot was full and there is only one way in/out.  We only waited about 30 minutes before a nice couple from North Carolina picked us and our packs up and drove us to Bishop.  Hope that helps.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 6 8:42 AM
                              Scott, see you on the trail––I should be walking out of happy isles morning of the 16th, but I've shaved about 25lbs from my gear, so I'll be moving a little faster and farther each day. (no more 55lbs pack at the END of my trips!) bob

                              sparklefart.blogspot.com

                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                              From: pilgrimat2k@...
                              Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                              From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...>

                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                              Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 5:19 AM

                              From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                              com>

                              To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 6 12:05 PM
                                Robert, I'll be looking over my shoulder for you to pass me by. I too have ditched the 55 lbs of pack weight. The last time I hiked JMT I was at 55, but this time I'm coming in around 30-35. Still heavier than I want but much better....Scott

                                To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
                                From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com
                                Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                                From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                                com>

                                To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                                It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                                I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                                might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                                town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                                JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots

                                on

                                395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.

                                Never

                                sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .

                                ... .

                                fight the urge.

                                sparklefart. blogspot. com

                                To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 6 12:09 PM
                                  John, I don't think that I'll have too much trouble catching a ride into Bishop, but it may be a little more dificult getting back to the trail, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
                                  Scott

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 6 4:55 PM
                                    Sadly, I may have to cancel altogether, my JMT, or at least put it off for another week and leave by the 26th . . . hey, less bugs.

                                    The only good side to this, is that I signed up or applied for the Discovery Channels, "ALASKA PROJECT." the entry deadline was today and I just got the video done last night.

                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_UaMaEmL8I

                                    so . . . but they've already called me and want, or plan on doing an interview on the 23rd . . . I gotta say––I've done the trail enough, but it still really sucks to suddenly have to postpone or even cancel. cross your Leki's for me, please.

                                    bob

                                    sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: pilgrimat2k@...
                                    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:05:27 -0700

                                    From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                    Date: Wednesday, August 6, 2008, 3:42 PM

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                                    From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com

                                    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                                    From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. com>

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 5:19 AM

                                    From: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:johnmuirtra il@ yahoogroups. com]

                                    On Behalf Of robert shattuck

                                    From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                                    com>

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 6 5:21 PM
                                      Robert, Good luck on the Alaska Project. I wish the best for you. Maybe I'll see you up the trail sometime....Scott

                                      From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com
                                      Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:05:27 -0700

                                      To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                                      From: pilgrimat2k@ yahoo.com

                                      Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:27:09 -0700

                                      From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@ hotmail. <mailto:bobolonius% 40hotmail. com>

                                      com>

                                      To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                      Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 3:02 AM

                                      It's like the rain末you never know. I've never come out at bishop, but

                                      I'm betting there's a lot less traffic than at whitney portal, so you

                                      might walk a few miles. I think your real problem will be once you get into

                                      town, get that hotel room, a beer, some TV . . . I've met three groups of

                                      JMT hikers, all so close to finishing and then they went out and hit spots

                                      on

                                      395 and that was that末they never made it back up and into the mountains.

                                      Never

                                      sat on whitney, or stormed down the trail to a burger at the portal store .

                                      .... .

                                      fight the urge.

                                      sparklefart. blogspot. com

                                      To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtra il%40yahoogroups .com> yahoogroups. com

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 6 9:18 PM
                                        I did not hike over Bishop Pass, so I don't know. I know about it because there were signs talking about it when I picked up my permit in Bishop. The McClure ranger also talked about it. I passed a lot of people who came that way, so it is passable. I understand that the area is so unstable that they are not planning on rebuilding the trail at this time. Here is another thought for you guys determined to add 40 miles on for a resupply. There is a trail from Evolution Lake to North Lake that is only 13 miles. It does go over a 13,000 foot pass, and is a cross country trail, but it also is 13 miles instead of 20-25 miles each way. I think it is called the Lamarck Trail. It does not show on Mapsource, but I did see it on some of the hard copy maps I looked at. The ranger uses this trail saying it was a lot easier than Bishop or Piute.
                                        Kevin Aston

                                        Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...> wrote: Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide is another thing.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 7 7:34 AM
                                          wrote:

                                          > Kevin, I figured the 1-1/2 day walk into Bishop, but the rock slide
                                          is another thing.
                                          > How bad is the slide and is it on the Dusy Basin side of the pass or
                                          the South Lake side and is it a wide area that can be easily navigated
                                          around? I have a mail drop going to Bishop, but could re-direct it to
                                          Independence if need be.
                                          > Thanks for you input.....Scott

                                          way through the boulders in a few minutes. It is on the South Lake
                                          side of the pass. Julie

                                        • Scott Dowling
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 7 12:03 PM
                                            Kevin, thanks for the info. I'll check and see what I can find out about that trail to North Lake. I've thought about just pushing on to Kersarge Pass and going into Independence or possibly just packing a little extra food at VVR and pushing on to Whitney Portal, that's what I did the last time I hiked JMT. Just didn't want to carry that much weight.
                                            Thanks again....Scott

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 7 12:07 PM
                                              Julie, thanks for the info....Scott

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 7 9:10 PM
                                                Bishop Pass is South Lake not North. I hiked the North Lake/Piute Pass trail. Its tough but not terrible. South Lake is about 15 miles less to hitch hike.
                                                Kevin Aston

                                                Scott Dowling <pilgrimat2k@...> wrote: Kevin, thanks for the info. I'll check and see what I can find out about that trail to North Lake. I've thought about just pushing on to Kersarge Pass and going into Independence or possibly just packing a little extra food at VVR and pushing on to Whitney Portal, that's what I did the last time I hiked JMT. Just didn't want to carry that much weight.
                                                Thanks again....Scott

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 15 3:55 PM
                                                  I just returned from a 7 day trip which included going both ways over Bishop
                                                  Pass. The slide is on the South Lake side, about 1/3 of the way up. When
                                                  we got our permit the ranger told us about it briefly and just said not to
                                                  hang around in the slide area, just keep walking! When you get to the slide
                                                  area, there is an easy to walk trail now created, and mule packers also go
                                                  over there regularly. There is a sign at each end of the slide area,
                                                  warning that the area is unstable, rock slides are unpredictable (!) and not
                                                  to delay while walking through the slide area until you get to the next
                                                  sign. It takes maybe 10 minutes to walk through (depending on if you're
                                                  going up or down etc). Lots of people are hiking through it, but it did
                                                  make me a little anxious, and it was a huge fall, with fresh rock all
                                                  around. Would I go that way again - of course, if I had to! Barbara

                                                  _____

                                                  --- On Thu, 8/7/08, Kevin Aston <kevin@kevinaston.