Re: [John Muir Trail] Shorts, Pants, Both?

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 6:30 PM
      Something you might consider is to buy two identical pairs of
      convertible pants. Zip the legs off one pair and leave the lower leg
      part at home. This way you have two pairs of shorts that you can
      easily zip the legs onto if needed. This will reduce your weight and
      still allow the flexibility regarding the pants that you carry.
      Jim
    • taterno@cox.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4 8:07 PM
        Kevin,
        Which Keen's did you use?
        I am using New Balance 908, but I could use shoe with a little more cushioning.

        Tom
        The Incredible Bulk

        ---- Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote:

        =============
        I took one zip-off, and had them zipped off almost the whole time. Deet fought the mosquitoes so I didn't have to fight the heat. I took one lightweight 40% cotton 60% poly long sleeved shirt with 1 pocket (for fast drying), and I had some light thermals for PJs and cold weather, undies, a hooded sweat shirt, gloves, and rain coat and pants for rain and wind/cold protection, socks, boots and Keens, and a hat. Never put the rain pants on. That was all my clothes, and I did great. I hate boots and will probably just hike in my Keens from now on.
        Kevin
        www.kevinaston.com

        Jim W <jimqpublic@...> wrote: Pants, Shorts, or both?

        Staring at my gear yesterday I pondered bringing only pants, only
        shorts, or both. For rain I have the ULA rain wrap (rain skirt) which
        goes below my knees. The idea when I bought it was to wear shorts.

        If I'm wearing shorts in the rain, shorts in the warm, and going to
        bed shortly after reaching camp what's the point in pants? For bugs
        I'll have DEET.

        I do have a pair of zip-off pants but don't like the zipper-stiffened
        hem of the shorts. I'll try them on again tonight.

        I could save another 1/2 pound here!

        Jim

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5 8:37 AM
          Keen is a brand name. I wear a full toed sandal which is weatherproof,
          and light weight. http://www.rei.com/product/762288 is a link to some
          sort of like I wear. Mine are no longer produced but have lasted me
          through several hundred miles of walking, hiking, and swimming on some
          of my adventures. When mine were new they had great cushioning. They
          are still OK but not quite as good.
          Kevin
          www.kevinaston.com