Re: [John Muir Trail] 14 Day JMT Trip

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4 6:23 PM
      Paul:
      I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
      regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
      lot of noise in the wind?
      I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
      next year.
      Thanks,
      Jim

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      >
      > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
      number of ways:
    • beemancron
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5 9:38 AM
        JIm,

        I agree that spinnaker material can be a noisy material in the wind. If the One is set up
        correctly and all sides are taught then the noise is minimal. Also as the material is used
        more often it becomes "silky" and much less noisy.

        Paul

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

        > Paul:
        > I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
        > regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
        > lot of noise in the wind?
        > I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
        > next year.
        > Thanks,
        > Jim
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jim,
        > >
        > > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
        > number of ways:

      • reperes_pleinair
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 9 7:01 PM
          Hi,

          I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
          How long do you rehydrate your food ?
          I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
          rehydrate, any health risk ?

          Michel from Montreal
          Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

          > 3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
          dehydrated foods that were
          > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
          placed them on top of
          > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
          foods and was able to
          > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
          >

          > Paul
          > "The Beeman"

        • Ima Person
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9 7:36 PM
            Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth and not use a utensil.
            Enjoy, its a great hike
            Al

            I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
            How long do you rehydrate your food ?
            I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
            rehydrate, any health risk ?

            Michel from Montreal
            Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

            > 3.. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
            dehydrated foods that were
            > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
            placed them on top of
            > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
            foods and was able to
            > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
            >

            > Paul
            > "The Beeman"

          • beemancron
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 10 2:29 PM
              Michel,

              I'll add another comment to Al's.

              Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
              smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
              of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
              processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
              time to an average of 2 hours.

              Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

              Paul
              The Beeman