Re: [John Muir Trail] Shorts, Pants, Both?

  • dc t
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
      I would bring both. I just finished the trail mid July,  and there were times when I stopped at my camp site  that I had to get  pants on to create a barrier between bugs and skin. Even with DEET,  I still needed the pants. I am  a retired Army guy, and  I had some summer weight dessert pants which were cool during  my walks and in the  heat, yet it blocked the cool winds  in the evenings at higher elevation as  well as creating the barrier against bugs. My pack  is normally heavier than most peoples because I am  use  to packing heavy loads,  so the added weight of shorts didn't make a  huge difference with me.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        Something you might consider is to buy two identical pairs of
        convertible pants. Zip the legs off one pair and leave the lower leg
        part at home. This way you have two pairs of shorts that you can
        easily zip the legs onto if needed. This will reduce your weight and
        still allow the flexibility regarding the pants that you carry.
        Jim
      • taterno@cox.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          Kevin,
          Which Keen's did you use?
          I am using New Balance 908, but I could use shoe with a little more cushioning.

          Tom
          The Incredible Bulk

          ---- Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote:

          =============
          I took one zip-off, and had them zipped off almost the whole time. Deet fought the mosquitoes so I didn't have to fight the heat. I took one lightweight 40% cotton 60% poly long sleeved shirt with 1 pocket (for fast drying), and I had some light thermals for PJs and cold weather, undies, a hooded sweat shirt, gloves, and rain coat and pants for rain and wind/cold protection, socks, boots and Keens, and a hat. Never put the rain pants on. That was all my clothes, and I did great. I hate boots and will probably just hike in my Keens from now on.
          Kevin
          www.kevinaston.com

          Jim W <jimqpublic@...> wrote: Pants, Shorts, or both?

          Staring at my gear yesterday I pondered bringing only pants, only
          shorts, or both. For rain I have the ULA rain wrap (rain skirt) which
          goes below my knees. The idea when I bought it was to wear shorts.

          If I'm wearing shorts in the rain, shorts in the warm, and going to
          bed shortly after reaching camp what's the point in pants? For bugs
          I'll have DEET.

          I do have a pair of zip-off pants but don't like the zipper-stiffened
          hem of the shorts. I'll try them on again tonight.

          I could save another 1/2 pound here!

          Jim

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
            Keen is a brand name. I wear a full toed sandal which is weatherproof,
            and light weight. http://www.rei.com/product/762288 is a link to some
            sort of like I wear. Mine are no longer produced but have lasted me
            through several hundred miles of walking, hiking, and swimming on some
            of my adventures. When mine were new they had great cushioning. They
            are still OK but not quite as good.
            Kevin
            www.kevinaston.com