RE: [John Muir Trail] August weather? Rain at night?

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
      Turbodog,

      Yup, the sierras have their own kinda micro-climate with all those high mountains and so on, but barring my absolute scientific knowledge of these factors, I'd say again, due to experience, ESPECIALLY in late august and september, you'll no doubt find find a few hours of rain and if you're really lucky, a decent sprinkle of snow��nothing to warrant extra equipment, but fun all the same.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9dMYFCTJ-M

      b.

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      > From: bcooper67@...
      > Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:45:16 +0000
      > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] August weather? Rain at night?
      >
      > What about the probability of rain in late Sept early October? Are these showers and thunderstorms as common that time of the year?
      > Thanks
      > Turbodog

      > From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
      >

      > > Jim,
      > >
      > > I've never had a JMT without rain, be it "conveniently" taking place in the
      > > afternoon and just sprinkling you, or pounding all through the night. Last year,
      > > this time, I had two days of hiking in the sprinkles and thunder��not enough to
      > > soak me, but it did slow me down and keep me looking over my shoulder for that
      > > next rumble or bolt.
      > >
      > > I also had a full on straight run of rain from 7pm into the tent until crawl out
      > > at 1pm the next day. You just can't tell, so prepare for whatever you think you
      > > can stand.
      > >
      > > Laying low in a tent, from wind and rain, with a book, for many hours, sure
      > > beats, trying to keep a tarp over your head or looking for a safe crop of rock
      > > to hide under.
      > >
      > > bob
      > >

      > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: jimqpublic@...
      > > Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 11:06:23 -0700
      > > Subject: [John Muir Trail] August weather? Rain at night?

      > > I'm heading out next weekend for 2 weeks on the JMT. My current
      > > plans
      > >
      > > have me bringing a gore-tex bivy sack and a down bag for sleeping.
      > >
      > > I'm presuming that the likelihood of sustained hard rain at night is
      > >
      > > pretty low. I do have a tiny tarp that I can rig over the head area.
      > >
      > > If rain is more likely I could bring a very tiny tent for 1 pound
      > >
      > > more.
      > >

      > > How likely is rain at night? I seem to recall that late afternoon is
      > >
      > > most common with very few times that it rained (not just sprinkled) at
      > >
      > > night in August.
      > >

      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Jim
      > >
      > > Aug 10 JMT Southbound

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        A storm seems to come in around the first week in October. We always
        went the second week and had sunshine. One year I went the first week
        of October and we had rain and snow for about 24 hours at Kern Hot
        Spring. Rain is no problem when you are in a hot tub. The rest of
        the trip was sunshine.