Shorts, Pants, Both?

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
      Pants, Shorts, or both?

      Staring at my gear yesterday I pondered bringing only pants, only
      shorts, or both. For rain I have the ULA rain wrap (rain skirt) which
      goes below my knees. The idea when I bought it was to wear shorts.

      If I'm wearing shorts in the rain, shorts in the warm, and going to
      bed shortly after reaching camp what's the point in pants? For bugs
      I'll have DEET.

      I do have a pair of zip-off pants but don't like the zipper-stiffened
      hem of the shorts. I'll try them on again tonight.

      I could save another 1/2 pound here!

      Jim
    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        I took one zip-off, and had them zipped off almost the whole time. Deet fought the mosquitoes so I didn't have to fight the heat. I took one lightweight 40% cotton 60% poly long sleeved shirt with 1 pocket (for fast drying), and I had some light thermals for PJs and cold weather, undies, a hooded sweat shirt, gloves, and rain coat and pants for rain and wind/cold protection, socks, boots and Keens, and a hat. Never put the rain pants on. That was all my clothes, and I did great. I hate boots and will probably just hike in my Keens from now on.
        Kevin
        www.kevinaston.com

        Jim W <jimqpublic@...> wrote: Pants, Shorts, or both?

        Staring at my gear yesterday I pondered bringing only pants, only
        shorts, or both. For rain I have the ULA rain wrap (rain skirt) which
        goes below my knees. The idea when I bought it was to wear shorts.

        If I'm wearing shorts in the rain, shorts in the warm, and going to
        bed shortly after reaching camp what's the point in pants? For bugs
        I'll have DEET.

        I do have a pair of zip-off pants but don't like the zipper-stiffened
        hem of the shorts. I'll try them on again tonight.

        I could save another 1/2 pound here!

        Jim

      • dc t
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          I would bring both. I just finished the trail mid July,  and there were times when I stopped at my camp site  that I had to get  pants on to create a barrier between bugs and skin. Even with DEET,  I still needed the pants. I am  a retired Army guy, and  I had some summer weight dessert pants which were cool during  my walks and in the  heat, yet it blocked the cool winds  in the evenings at higher elevation as  well as creating the barrier against bugs. My pack  is normally heavier than most peoples because I am  use  to packing heavy loads,  so the added weight of shorts didn't make a  huge difference with me.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            Something you might consider is to buy two identical pairs of
            convertible pants. Zip the legs off one pair and leave the lower leg
            part at home. This way you have two pairs of shorts that you can
            easily zip the legs onto if needed. This will reduce your weight and
            still allow the flexibility regarding the pants that you carry.
            Jim
          • taterno@cox.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
              Kevin,
              Which Keen's did you use?
              I am using New Balance 908, but I could use shoe with a little more cushioning.

              Tom
              The Incredible Bulk

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
                Keen is a brand name. I wear a full toed sandal which is weatherproof,
                and light weight. http://www.rei.com/product/762288 is a link to some
                sort of like I wear. Mine are no longer produced but have lasted me
                through several hundred miles of walking, hiking, and swimming on some
                of my adventures. When mine were new they had great cushioning. They
                are still OK but not quite as good.
                Kevin
                www.kevinaston.com