Re:14 Day JMT Trip

  • mike rose
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
      Paul the beeman,
      You said that you used foods that would rehydrate with heat.
      Can you mentioned some, thanks, mike

    • beemancron
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
        Jim,

        I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a number of ways:

        1. An escape from the evening mosquito fan club.
        2. Kept dry during the two days of heavy thundershowers in Tuolumne (Same storm that
        hit Independence and took out 50 houses, closed Hwy 395)
        3. Wind protection during a few nights at higher altitudes.
        4. Easy to put up with 6 stakes and 2 trekking poles.
        5. Adds a few degrees warmth over cowboy camping.

        The hardest decision each day was to determine the direction of the opening for the best
        view. :)

        Paul

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

        > Paul:
        > How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
        > and am interested in how the tarptent did.
        > Jim
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jim,
        > >
        > > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
        > titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

      • jim.ennis
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
          Paul:
          I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
          regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
          lot of noise in the wind?
          I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
          next year.
          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
            JIm,

            I agree that spinnaker material can be a noisy material in the wind. If the One is set up
            correctly and all sides are taught then the noise is minimal. Also as the material is used
            more often it becomes "silky" and much less noisy.

            Paul

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

            > Paul:
            > I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
            > regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
            > lot of noise in the wind?
            > I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
            > next year.
            > Thanks,
            > Jim
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jim,
            > >
            > > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
            > number of ways:

          • reperes_pleinair
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
              Hi,

              I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
              How long do you rehydrate your food ?
              I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
              rehydrate, any health risk ?

              Michel from Montreal
              Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

              > 3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
              dehydrated foods that were
              > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
              placed them on top of
              > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
              foods and was able to
              > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
              >

              > Paul
              > "The Beeman"

            • Ima Person
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth and not use a utensil.
                Enjoy, its a great hike
                Al

                I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                rehydrate, any health risk ?

                Michel from Montreal
                Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                > 3.. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                dehydrated foods that were
                > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                placed them on top of
                > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                foods and was able to
                > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                >

                > Paul
                > "The Beeman"

              • beemancron
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                  Michel,

                  I'll add another comment to Al's.

                  Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
                  smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
                  of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
                  processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
                  time to an average of 2 hours.

                  Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

                  Paul
                  The Beeman