Re: [John Muir Trail] 14 Day JMT Trip

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
      Paul:
      How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
      and am interested in how the tarptent did.
      Jim
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      >
      > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
      titled "2008 JMT Gear List"
    • mike rose
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
        Paul the beeman,
        You said that you used foods that would rehydrate with heat.
        Can you mentioned some, thanks, mike

      • beemancron
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
          Jim,

          I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a number of ways:

          1. An escape from the evening mosquito fan club.
          2. Kept dry during the two days of heavy thundershowers in Tuolumne (Same storm that
          hit Independence and took out 50 houses, closed Hwy 395)
          3. Wind protection during a few nights at higher altitudes.
          4. Easy to put up with 6 stakes and 2 trekking poles.
          5. Adds a few degrees warmth over cowboy camping.

          The hardest decision each day was to determine the direction of the opening for the best
          view. :)

          Paul

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

          > Paul:
          > How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
          > and am interested in how the tarptent did.
          > Jim
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Jim,
          > >
          > > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
          > titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

        • jim.ennis
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
            Paul:
            I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
            regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
            lot of noise in the wind?
            I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
            next year.
            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
              JIm,

              I agree that spinnaker material can be a noisy material in the wind. If the One is set up
              correctly and all sides are taught then the noise is minimal. Also as the material is used
              more often it becomes "silky" and much less noisy.

              Paul

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

              > Paul:
              > I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
              > regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
              > lot of noise in the wind?
              > I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
              > next year.
              > Thanks,
              > Jim
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Jim,
              > >
              > > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
              > number of ways:

            • reperes_pleinair
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                Hi,

                I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                rehydrate, any health risk ?

                Michel from Montreal
                Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                > 3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                dehydrated foods that were
                > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                placed them on top of
                > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                foods and was able to
                > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                >

                > Paul
                > "The Beeman"

              • Ima Person
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                  Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth and not use a utensil.
                  Enjoy, its a great hike
                  Al

                  I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                  How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                  I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                  rehydrate, any health risk ?

                  Michel from Montreal
                  Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                  > 3.. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                  dehydrated foods that were
                  > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                  placed them on top of
                  > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                  foods and was able to
                  > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                  >

                  > Paul
                  > "The Beeman"

                • beemancron
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                    Michel,

                    I'll add another comment to Al's.

                    Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
                    smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
                    of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
                    processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
                    time to an average of 2 hours.

                    Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

                    Paul
                    The Beeman