Re: [John Muir Trail] 14 Day JMT Trip

  • beemancron
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
      Jim,

      I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

      Note that I carried a lot of Gossamer Gear stuff. I love this company! If it weren't for their
      products plus some from other companies, I would still be a traditional backpacker. :)

      Paul

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

      > Great trip report. Care to share your gear list with those of us who
      > are planning a JMT trip for next year. I've got my base weight down
      > around your base weight, but I'd still like to see how we compare.
      > Thanks,
      > Jim
      > >
      > > On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM, beemancron <beemancron@> wrote:
      > > > "Doing the T" was my mantra for a recent 14 day trip (July 13-27) from
      > > > Glacier Point to Mt.
      > > > Whitney.
      > > >
      > > > Except for two days of thunder and lightning in Yosemite, the
      > weather was
      > > > superb. I met
      > > > and shared the trail with some very nice JMTers.
      > > >
      > > > Here is what I learned on my trek:...

    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
        Paul:
        How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
        and am interested in how the tarptent did.
        Jim
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@...> wrote:

        > Jim,
        >
        > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
        titled "2008 JMT Gear List"
      • mike rose
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
          Paul the beeman,
          You said that you used foods that would rehydrate with heat.
          Can you mentioned some, thanks, mike

        • beemancron
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
            Jim,

            I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a number of ways:

            1. An escape from the evening mosquito fan club.
            2. Kept dry during the two days of heavy thundershowers in Tuolumne (Same storm that
            hit Independence and took out 50 houses, closed Hwy 395)
            3. Wind protection during a few nights at higher altitudes.
            4. Easy to put up with 6 stakes and 2 trekking poles.
            5. Adds a few degrees warmth over cowboy camping.

            The hardest decision each day was to determine the direction of the opening for the best
            view. :)

            Paul

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

            > Paul:
            > How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
            > and am interested in how the tarptent did.
            > Jim
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jim,
            > >
            > > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
            > titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

          • jim.ennis
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
              Paul:
              I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
              regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
              lot of noise in the wind?
              I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
              next year.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                JIm,

                I agree that spinnaker material can be a noisy material in the wind. If the One is set up
                correctly and all sides are taught then the noise is minimal. Also as the material is used
                more often it becomes "silky" and much less noisy.

                Paul

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

                > Paul:
                > I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
                > regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
                > lot of noise in the wind?
                > I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
                > next year.
                > Thanks,
                > Jim
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Jim,
                > >
                > > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
                > number of ways:

              • reperes_pleinair
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                  How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                  I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                  rehydrate, any health risk ?

                  Michel from Montreal
                  Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                  > 3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                  dehydrated foods that were
                  > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                  placed them on top of
                  > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                  foods and was able to
                  > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                  >

                  > Paul
                  > "The Beeman"

                • Ima Person
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth and not use a utensil.
                    Enjoy, its a great hike
                    Al

                    I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                    How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                    I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                    rehydrate, any health risk ?

                    Michel from Montreal
                    Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                    > 3.. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                    dehydrated foods that were
                    > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                    placed them on top of
                    > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                    foods and was able to
                    > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                    >

                    > Paul
                    > "The Beeman"

                  • beemancron
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                      Michel,

                      I'll add another comment to Al's.

                      Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
                      smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
                      of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
                      processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
                      time to an average of 2 hours.

                      Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

                      Paul
                      The Beeman