Re: [John Muir Trail] 14 Day JMT Trip

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008
      On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM, beemancron <beemancron@...> wrote:
      > "Doing the T" was my mantra for a recent 14 day trip (July 13-27) from
      > Glacier Point to Mt.
      > Whitney.
      >
      > Except for two days of thunder and lightning in Yosemite, the weather was
      > superb. I met
      > and shared the trail with some very nice JMTers.
      >
      > Here is what I learned on my trek:...

      Great slideshow and learning/teaching points. I'm heading out next
      week for a 15 day transit. In rough route planning I thought that
      somewhere in the 14-16 day range appears to be a good schedule. Any
      faster and you have to double up on passes and get out of sync. With
      a two week schedule you can start each day warming up climbing a pass
      and be off before thunderstorms.

      Jim
    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
        Great trip report. Care to share your gear list with those of us who
        are planning a JMT trip for next year. I've got my base weight down
        around your base weight, but I'd still like to see how we compare.
        Thanks,
        Jim

        > On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM, beemancron <beemancron@...> wrote:
        > > "Doing the T" was my mantra for a recent 14 day trip (July 13-27) from
        > > Glacier Point to Mt.
        > > Whitney.
        > >
        > > Except for two days of thunder and lightning in Yosemite, the
        weather was
        > > superb. I met
        > > and shared the trail with some very nice JMTers.
        > >
        > > Here is what I learned on my trek:...

      • beemancron
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
          Jim,

          I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

          Note that I carried a lot of Gossamer Gear stuff. I love this company! If it weren't for their
          products plus some from other companies, I would still be a traditional backpacker. :)

          Paul

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
            Paul:
            How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
            and am interested in how the tarptent did.
            Jim
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@...> wrote:

            > Jim,
            >
            > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
            titled "2008 JMT Gear List"
          • mike rose
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2008
              Paul the beeman,
              You said that you used foods that would rehydrate with heat.
              Can you mentioned some, thanks, mike

            • beemancron
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
                Jim,

                I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a number of ways:

                1. An escape from the evening mosquito fan club.
                2. Kept dry during the two days of heavy thundershowers in Tuolumne (Same storm that
                hit Independence and took out 50 houses, closed Hwy 395)
                3. Wind protection during a few nights at higher altitudes.
                4. Easy to put up with 6 stakes and 2 trekking poles.
                5. Adds a few degrees warmth over cowboy camping.

                The hardest decision each day was to determine the direction of the opening for the best
                view. :)

                Paul

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

                > Paul:
                > How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
                > and am interested in how the tarptent did.
                > Jim
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Jim,
                > >
                > > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
                > titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

              • jim.ennis
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Paul:
                  I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
                  regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
                  lot of noise in the wind?
                  I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
                  next year.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                    JIm,

                    I agree that spinnaker material can be a noisy material in the wind. If the One is set up
                    correctly and all sides are taught then the noise is minimal. Also as the material is used
                    more often it becomes "silky" and much less noisy.

                    Paul

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

                    > Paul:
                    > I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
                    > regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
                    > lot of noise in the wind?
                    > I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
                    > next year.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Jim
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jim,
                    > >
                    > > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
                    > number of ways:

                  • reperes_pleinair
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                      Hi,

                      I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                      How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                      I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                      rehydrate, any health risk ?

                      Michel from Montreal
                      Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                      > 3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                      dehydrated foods that were
                      > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                      placed them on top of
                      > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                      foods and was able to
                      > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                      >

                      > Paul
                      > "The Beeman"

                    • Ima Person
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
                        Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth and not use a utensil.
                        Enjoy, its a great hike
                        Al

                        I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                        How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                        I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                        rehydrate, any health risk ?

                        Michel from Montreal
                        Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                        > 3.. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                        dehydrated foods that were
                        > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                        placed them on top of
                        > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                        foods and was able to
                        > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                        >

                        > Paul
                        > "The Beeman"

                      • beemancron
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                          Michel,

                          I'll add another comment to Al's.

                          Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
                          smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
                          of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
                          processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
                          time to an average of 2 hours.

                          Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

                          Paul
                          The Beeman