Drop a resupply box at Tuolumne Store?

  • Randy Topken
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
      We are planning to camp at Tuolumne before starting our trip - can we drop a box for resupply there at the store - or do we have to place a resupply in a bear box there, or ???

      Thanks!

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
        "can we drop a box for resupply there at the store - or do we have to place a resupply in a bear box there, or ???"

        While the employees in the store can, when convenient*, get your resupply box out of the "post office" they do not accept packages and even the post office there, I am sure, can not just take your resupply and hold it for you.

        Since they are an official u.s. post office, I think the rules require that anything you give to them, has to be processed, paid for and so on . . . so if you dropped your resupply off there, hoping to pick it up in a day or two, you have to understand that it will no doubt actually leave TM, go through the system and then come back––could be a few days.

        Lots of people that are starting in TM and heading up to Cathedral and Sunrise, park their cars there at the junction on 120 and leave things a bear might like to have, in the many bear boxes that are provided––but this isn't a guarantee that whatever you put in will be there when you come back.

        *Don't rely on this. Don't quote me . . . but I've done it a few times, no problems.

        BOB