Re: which trailhead to leave the car for a SOBO hike

  • Gail
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013

      > [SIDE NOTE: Don't park in the space right next to the bathroom by the
      > trailhead in Whitney Portal...there is a psycho squirrel that likes to
      > drop unopened pine cones on cars and I got my rear window shattered.]

      Actually that squirrel isn't psycho. Squirrels drop pine cones from trees and then carry them off to stash a supply for the winter.

      At one place I lived a squirrel dropped pine cones onto the roof of our dog kennel (we heard them landing all day long) and them stashed them, one by one, in a corner of our warm generator shed.

      Sorry about your window!
    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
        This all reminds me of the Great Squirrel Incident, related here: http://jmtbook.com/?p=437

        On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:

        Actually that squirrel isn't psycho. Squirrels drop pine cones from trees and then carry them off to stash a supply for the winter.

        At one place I lived a squirrel dropped pine cones onto the roof of our dog kennel (we heard them landing all day long) and them stashed them, one by one, in a corner of our warm generator shed.

        Sorry about your window!
      • Jim W
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
          On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM, tamirph <tamirph@...> wrote:
          ... We are driving over from Arizona. Is it possible to leave the car near the Mt. Whitney and shuttle before the hike? What are the pros/cons of each option? ...

          If you're using the bus to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite, there's another option:  Mammoth Lakes.  Generally to travel Lone Pine to Yosemite Valley by bus requires a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday night stay in Mammoth.  (CREST bus only runs MWF in the evening, YARTS runs daily in the morning).

          Splitting the bus ride into before/after segments might work well.  If you stay in a Mammoth motel, you might be able to leave your car there- you also might be able to leave a resupply box.

          Just food for thought.

          Jim
          JMT 2008 solo
          Planning JMT Aug 2013 Family
        • Frank Dumville
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
            According to the ESTA 395 schedule there are routes northbound Lone to Mammoth Lakes five days a week. I believe the CREST bus was only one of several routes.
            I would suggest anyone planning on using the bus to call ESTA to confirm their schedule.

            Snap

            From: Jim W jimqpublic@...
            (CREST bus only runs MWF in the evening, YARTS runs daily in the morning).