14 Day JMT Trip

  • beemancron
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2 4:22 PM
      "Doing the T" was my mantra for a recent 14 day trip (July 13-27) from Glacier Point to Mt.
      Whitney.

      Except for two days of thunder and lightning in Yosemite, the weather was superb. I met
      and shared the trail with some very nice JMTers.

      Here is what I learned on my trek:

      1. 14 days is a minimum time to hike the JMT. It gave me time to enjoy the trail rather
      than try and break a speed record.

      2. Travel light. I have developed a system that reduced my base pack weight to 10 lbs
      including bear canister. WS Monty has a saying " When the weight goes down the fun goes
      up". I encountered far too many traditional hikers with "christmas tree" packs who were not
      having fun and ultimately had to leave the trail. With a lite pack, I was able to comfortably
      travel an average of 15 miles each day.

      3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used dehydrated foods that were
      easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and placed them on top of
      my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all foods and was able to
      fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.

      4. Used no DEET. I wore bug proof long sleeved shirts and pants, Simblissity Head net and
      a wind jacket to keep the mosquitos off. A tent with bug net ( eg The GG One) also
      helped.

      5. Hit the passes in the early morning. Avoided afternoon tempests and was much cooler.

      6. Took lots of breaks to rest, rehydrate and recuperate.

      7. Avoided blisters by using a double sock system (eg Injini socks and liners). Change
      socks and air feet out multiple times a day.

      8. Carried no more than 2 liters of water. There is plenty of water on the JMT. Filtration and
      purification is an option if not taking from a spring source.

      9. Traveling solo. A great experience. After a few leap frogs with other JMT hikers, I
      formed some wonderful relationships that have continued post trail.

      10. Thanked the wilderness rangers and construction crews for their support and work
      helping to preserve this wonderful trail. I plan to write a letter to the Forest and Park
      Superintendents to express my appreciation for the allocating trail maintenance funds.

      I have posted a few of my trip pictures on my photo web site:

      http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron

      Happy Trails,

      Paul
      "The Beeman"
    • Jim W
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2 7:50 PM
        On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM, beemancron <beemancron@...> wrote:
        > "Doing the T" was my mantra for a recent 14 day trip (July 13-27) from
        > Glacier Point to Mt.
        > Whitney.
        >
        > Except for two days of thunder and lightning in Yosemite, the weather was
        > superb. I met
        > and shared the trail with some very nice JMTers.
        >
        > Here is what I learned on my trek:...

        Great slideshow and learning/teaching points. I'm heading out next
        week for a 15 day transit. In rough route planning I thought that
        somewhere in the 14-16 day range appears to be a good schedule. Any
        faster and you have to double up on passes and get out of sync. With
        a two week schedule you can start each day warming up climbing a pass
        and be off before thunderstorms.

        Jim
      • jim.ennis
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3 5:52 AM
          Great trip report. Care to share your gear list with those of us who
          are planning a JMT trip for next year. I've got my base weight down
          around your base weight, but I'd still like to see how we compare.
          Thanks,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3 7:32 AM
            Jim,

            I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

            Note that I carried a lot of Gossamer Gear stuff. I love this company! If it weren't for their
            products plus some from other companies, I would still be a traditional backpacker. :)

            Paul

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3 6:19 PM
              Paul:
              How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
              and am interested in how the tarptent did.
              Jim
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@...> wrote:

              > Jim,
              >
              > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
              titled "2008 JMT Gear List"
            • mike rose
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3 9:49 PM
                Paul the beeman,
                You said that you used foods that would rehydrate with heat.
                Can you mentioned some, thanks, mike

              • beemancron
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4 4:45 PM
                  Jim,

                  I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a number of ways:

                  1. An escape from the evening mosquito fan club.
                  2. Kept dry during the two days of heavy thundershowers in Tuolumne (Same storm that
                  hit Independence and took out 50 houses, closed Hwy 395)
                  3. Wind protection during a few nights at higher altitudes.
                  4. Easy to put up with 6 stakes and 2 trekking poles.
                  5. Adds a few degrees warmth over cowboy camping.

                  The hardest decision each day was to determine the direction of the opening for the best
                  view. :)

                  Paul

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

                  > Paul:
                  > How did the GG The One perform? I know that you had a few days of rain
                  > and am interested in how the tarptent did.
                  > Jim
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Jim,
                  > >
                  > > I have posted my gear list in the file section of this group. It is
                  > titled "2008 JMT Gear List"

                • jim.ennis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4 6:23 PM
                    Paul:
                    I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
                    regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
                    lot of noise in the wind?
                    I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
                    next year.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5 9:38 AM
                      JIm,

                      I agree that spinnaker material can be a noisy material in the wind. If the One is set up
                      correctly and all sides are taught then the noise is minimal. Also as the material is used
                      more often it becomes "silky" and much less noisy.

                      Paul

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

                      > Paul:
                      > I'm glad that "The One" did a great job for you. One more question
                      > regarding the tent - Since it's made out of Spinnaker, did it make a
                      > lot of noise in the wind?
                      > I'm really looking at buying one if my wife decides not to go with me
                      > next year.
                      > Thanks,
                      > Jim
                      >
                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "beemancron" <beemancron@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Jim,
                      > >
                      > > I used the One every night on my trip. It was a great shelter in a
                      > number of ways:

                    • reperes_pleinair
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 9 7:01 PM
                        Hi,

                        I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                        How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                        I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                        rehydrate, any health risk ?

                        Michel from Montreal
                        Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                        > 3. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                        dehydrated foods that were
                        > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                        placed them on top of
                        > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                        foods and was able to
                        > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                        >

                        > Paul
                        > "The Beeman"

                      • Ima Person
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 9 7:36 PM
                          Michael,  when I choose to rehydrate without a stove, I usually add the water to the meal about 4-5 hours before eating.  The trick is the temperature of the water.  If the water very cold, the rehydration time will increase some.  I put the ziploc containing the meal on the top inside of my pack so the sun helps to warm it, as Paul mentions.  The JMT in August should provide good temperature for daytime rehydration.  I have not had any problems with spoilage.  When eating, I usually will just squeeze out the food directly into my mouth and not use a utensil.
                          Enjoy, its a great hike
                          Al

                          I have tried your no stove method today and it looks interesting.
                          How long do you rehydrate your food ?
                          I am just wondering if a freeze dried beef macaroni takes too long to
                          rehydrate, any health risk ?

                          Michel from Montreal
                          Leaving for JMT in 2 weeks.

                          > 3.. Used no stove cooking. Leave the kitchen at home. I used
                          dehydrated foods that were
                          > easily rehydrated with cold water. I double bagged my meals and
                          placed them on top of
                          > my pack for some solar cooking. No fuss, no mess. I repackaged all
                          foods and was able to
                          > fit 7 days into a Bearikade Weekender bear canister.
                          >

                          > Paul
                          > "The Beeman"

                        • beemancron
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 10 2:29 PM
                            Michel,

                            I'll add another comment to Al's.

                            Besides temperature of the water, the size of the ingredients is also important. The
                            smaller the surface area of the ingredients the quicker the rehydration process. I put a lot
                            of my dehydrated ingredients (Chicken, tuna, veggies, muesli, etc) through a food
                            processor to make as close to a powder as possible. This helped decrease the rehydration
                            time to an average of 2 hours.

                            Good luck on your JMT hike. Send out a report and photos when you return.

                            Paul
                            The Beeman