Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Permit Question

  • Dittli-Goethals
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 2, 2013
      According to the managing agency of the JMT within Yosemite (NPS), the Harrison map is correct. The JMT has never been officially re-routed from it's original alignment through Tuolumne Meadows.

      I have been told (though I've never seen written conformation) that the first several miles in Yosemite Valley have changed. The trail used to start at the historic LeConte Memorial and wind thru the Valley before reaching HI. That section was lost when the "lovely" Curry Village was constructed.

      JD
      see book here

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:
      yeah - and according to the Tom Harrison map I used for my trip, the JMT crosses Hwy 120 ... twice ... once to go across Tuolomne Meadows, and then back again to head up toward Lyell Canyon  (I've seen other maps that show it staying on the south side of the hwy).

      February 28, 2013 7:02 PM

      I know we covered this before, but technically you can't leave and re-enter the Wilderness on the same permit (in Yosemite). Again, like ranger Holly said, it's the intent. Taken literally, one wouldn't be able to hike the JMT on one permit as the trail leaves and re-enters Wilderness between Cathedral Lakes and Lyell Fork.

      JD

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

      > I've been reading this thread with great interest. As I've read thru
      > it, I've wondered to myself: how many JMT hikers "*don't* buy a hot
      > dog" (or a burger, or a snack, or whatever) at the little store/post
      > office in TM while picking up their resupply. Until seeing this thread
      > I'd never seen mention anywhere else of people having to get multiple
      > wilderness permits to hike the JMT (even when planning to stop for a
      > resupply in TM). And while I've only done the JMT once so far, I
      > thought I had researched this topic pretty exhaustively before my own
      > trip :).
      >
      > Interesting!

      February 28, 2013 6:31 PM

      --
      John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
      John Dittli Photography

      2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 23, 2014
        I don't think that Yosemite can give out Sierra NF permits. Different agencies.
        I don't know if they ask for everyone's names and IDs. Just the trip leader/permit holder when you pick it up I think.

        On Aug 23, 2014, at 8:53 AM, "alyssarainbolt@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        My friend is meeting me at Muir Trail Ranch, but will be in the Valley with me when I'm starting the trail. Can she just pick up her permit with me, and skip getting her permit from Sierra National Forest?

        I know she wouldn't have a problem getting her permit when she's starting. Here is the reason I'm asking: I have another friend meeting me at Tuolumne and hiking until Red's Meadow. I'm trying to gauge how bad it would be if Amanda and I got a permit in the Valley, Amanda left and went home, I started hiking and met Sarah in Tuolumne and she hiked using Amanda's name. Then, when Amanda meets me at MTR, we're good to go.

        Is that bad?? Will I get in trouble if I start hiking with just one person on a two person permit? Will Sarah get away with using that permit instead of waiting an entire day at Tuolumne? She doesn't have time to come up the day before we start hiking. Would love any insight!! Thanks!