Re: which trailhead to leave the car for a SOBO hike

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
      You don't say where you're starting your JMT but I'll assume either
      Happy Isles (HI) or Tuolumne Meadows (TM) in Yosemite.

      I personally like to have my car waiting for me at the end but you can
      do either. Last year I left my car at Whitney Portal (WP) but I had a
      car shuttle arranged with another hiker, which made this easier.

      [SIDE NOTE: Don't park in the space right next to the bathroom by the
      trailhead in Whitney Portal...there is a psycho squirrel that likes to
      drop unopened pine cones on cars and I got my rear window shattered.]

      If you leave car at WP, you need to find a way back to at least Lone
      Pine (people coming off the trail are usually happy to oblige). From
      Lone Pine, depending on the time of year, you can catch a CREST bus to
      Mammoth and transfer to YARTS which will take you to TM or Yosemite
      Valley (to get to HI). You'll need to check the schedules carefully to
      make sure the days/times all work together so you get to the trailhead
      on the right day. You can also arrange for one of the private shuttles
      but I think I saw earlier posts showing $400 to get to Yosemite.

      Pro: Car is at the end, just get in and go. Can have clean clothes
      etc. waiting for you. Shorter drive to/from AZ. Don't have to pay
      entrance fee for Yosemite.

      Con: Need to work out schedule in advance to ensure you make your trail
      permit date. Adds time to front end of schedule, 1-2 days to get to
      trailhead w/o a car shuttle. Must carry all your stuff with you as you
      make your way to the trailhead. Generally more difficult to get back to
      your car if you need to bail and especially so if you need to bail out
      on west side (e.g., VVR or MTR).

      If you leave your car at TM/HI, you'll need to do all of the above and
      the pros/cons are basically reversed.

      Pro: Just drive to trailhead w/ your junk in your trunk. Can control
      when you arrive so you don't miss your permit date. If you have to
      bail, it's almost always easier to get back to your car.

      Con: Adds time to back end of schedule, possibly 1-2 days before you
      can get to your car and go home. Need to carry all your smelly / dirty
      stuff on bus etc. back to your car. Longer drive to/from AZ. Have to

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" <tamirph@...> wrote:

      > I am going to sit down on Saturday and try to figure out planning for
      this hike...permits, places to stay before/after, etc. We are driving
      over from Arizona. Is it possible to leave the car near the Mt. Whitney
      and shuttle before the hike? What are the pros/cons of each option?
      Thanks for the help...I'm sure I will have more questions in the next
      few days. I am trying to search before asking though.

      > Tami

    • Viraj Ward
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
        Whichever end you leave you car, make sure nothing is visible and you leave a clean profile. Bears can and will break into cars that anything that looks like food (including coolers).
        Viraj

        --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" wrote:

        > I am going to sit down on Saturday and try to figure out planning for
        this hike...permits, places to stay before/after, etc. We are driving
        over from Arizona. Is it possible to leave the car near the Mt. Whitney
        and shuttle before the hike? What are the pros/cons of each option?
        Thanks for the help...I'm sure I will have more questions in the next
        few days. I am trying to search before asking though.

        > Tami

      • Gail
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013

          > [SIDE NOTE: Don't park in the space right next to the bathroom by the
          > trailhead in Whitney Portal...there is a psycho squirrel that likes to
          > drop unopened pine cones on cars and I got my rear window shattered.]

          Actually that squirrel isn't psycho. Squirrels drop pine cones from trees and then carry them off to stash a supply for the winter.

          At one place I lived a squirrel dropped pine cones onto the roof of our dog kennel (we heard them landing all day long) and them stashed them, one by one, in a corner of our warm generator shed.

          Sorry about your window!
        • Ray Rippel
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
            This all reminds me of the Great Squirrel Incident, related here: http://jmtbook.com/?p=437

            On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:

            Actually that squirrel isn't psycho. Squirrels drop pine cones from trees and then carry them off to stash a supply for the winter.

            At one place I lived a squirrel dropped pine cones onto the roof of our dog kennel (we heard them landing all day long) and them stashed them, one by one, in a corner of our warm generator shed.

            Sorry about your window!
          • Jim W
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
              On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM, tamirph <tamirph@...> wrote:
              ... We are driving over from Arizona. Is it possible to leave the car near the Mt. Whitney and shuttle before the hike? What are the pros/cons of each option? ...

              If you're using the bus to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite, there's another option:  Mammoth Lakes.  Generally to travel Lone Pine to Yosemite Valley by bus requires a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday night stay in Mammoth.  (CREST bus only runs MWF in the evening, YARTS runs daily in the morning).

              Splitting the bus ride into before/after segments might work well.  If you stay in a Mammoth motel, you might be able to leave your car there- you also might be able to leave a resupply box.

              Just food for thought.

              Jim
              JMT 2008 solo
              Planning JMT Aug 2013 Family
            • Frank Dumville
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
                According to the ESTA 395 schedule there are routes northbound Lone to Mammoth Lakes five days a week. I believe the CREST bus was only one of several routes.
                I would suggest anyone planning on using the bus to call ESTA to confirm their schedule.

                Snap

                From: Jim W jimqpublic@...
                (CREST bus only runs MWF in the evening, YARTS runs daily in the morning).