Re: cookbooks or recipes for making your own backpacking food

  • Rebecca Tatum White
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013

      I love the sound of that.  We have an big Excalibur dehydrator, but it has plastic mesh trays.  How do you keep from making a huge mess with stew or whatever?

      Also, how long do you think dehydrated leftovers could last before they would spoil?
      What do you store them in?
      Is it OK to just keep them on the shelf, or should they be refrigerated?

      Thanks!  We bought our dehydrator so we could stop buying backpackers meals, but we haven't used it for anything other than fruit at this point.

    • judithsmcguire
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2013
        I use parchment paper (found near wax paper and aluminum foil in the grocery store) on top of the mesh. I generally dry soups and soupy entrees. It has always worked.

        Judy McGuire (Judo)

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Tatum White <jazminhumboldt@...> wrote:

        > I love the sound of that. We have an big Excalibur dehydrator, but it has
        > plastic mesh trays. How do you keep from making a huge mess with stew or
        > whatever?
        >
        > Also, how long do you think dehydrated leftovers could last before they
        > would spoil?
        > What do you store them in?
        > Is it OK to just keep them on the shelf, or should they be refrigerated?
        >
        > Thanks! We bought our dehydrator so we could stop buying backpackers
        > meals, but we haven't used it for anything other than fruit at this point.

      • dosten
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2013
          Parchment would work. I have the solid and net-like tray liners that work great. I also don't do stuff that is too liquid though.

          As for storage, I vacuum seal the food in meal-sized portions, write the date on it and keep it in the freezer. Not sure about the shelf life but would imagine 3 months is easily attainable.
        • Dave Pex
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2013
            I have the plastic trays on my Nesco dehydrator. After dehydrating, I package them in freezer ziplocks (with the suction attachment to pull out the air), and store them in the freezer. No problem with spoilage on the trail or in my resupply, which means up to three weeks without refrigeration. I do jerky (from ground bison), lasagna, curry, etc.

            Dave

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Tatum White <jazminhumboldt@...> wrote:

            > I love the sound of that. We have an big Excalibur dehydrator, but it has
            > plastic mesh trays. How do you keep from making a huge mess with stew or
            > whatever?
            >
            > Also, how long do you think dehydrated leftovers could last before they
            > would spoil?
            > What do you store them in?
            > Is it OK to just keep them on the shelf, or should they be refrigerated?
            >
            > Thanks! We bought our dehydrator so we could stop buying backpackers
            > meals, but we haven't used it for anything other than fruit at this point.

          • Inga Aksamit
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7, 2013
              I also use the solid plastic tray inserts that came with my dehydrator for stew-y recipes or marinara sauce. I put them over the mesh tray. If your dehydrator didn't come with these you could probably use wax paper. Another thing I do if my marinara has a lot of liquid initially is I'll cook it down in a pan on the stove until it's pretty thick, then I transfer it to the dehydrator. If you're making your own sauce it's easy to just let it thicken more than you normally would before putting in the dehydrator.

              BTW, I'll put a plug in for my favorite backpacking cookbook for any newbies who weren't following this string last year: "Lipsmackin' Backpackin' by Tim and Christine Conners (available on Amazon) is the most practical cookbook I've found for JMT/PCT hikers as the recipes were contributed by real long-distance backpackers, not gourmet pack outfits. The book also has lots of good tips on planning and preparation.

              Inga Aksamit
              Mobile: 415-470-1812
              Email: Iaksamit@...
              Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
              About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
            • dicentra
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2013
                Shameless self plug.

                One Pan Wonders  and One Pan Wonders II

                There is also a ton of free stuff on the website (link below)

                Happy Eating!

                ~Dicentra

                http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest