Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: To half-dome....or not half-dome....that is the question...

  • Larry Beck
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
      They even have flush toilets! :)

      Larry

      From: charliepolecat <kennethjessett@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, March 1, 2013 12:21:41 PM
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: To half-dome....or not half-dome....that is the question...

      Another very pleasant day hike is Merced Lake.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser wrote:

      > Another point to consider is that both Half Dome and Clouds Rest are
      > doable as day hikes (albeit a long day hike for Half Dome). The others
      > mentioned previously are more remote...
      >
      > > You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the
      > > Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.

    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
        Both are great but for JMT, I would vote for Half Dome if you've never
        done it simply b/c (1) you can avoid the hassle of trying to get a
        permit otherwise and (2) you can set yourself up to start the HD hike
        early in the morning from LYV etc. instead of hiking up from the valley
        all in one day.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

        > Another point to consider is that both Half Dome and Clouds Rest are
        > doable as day hikes (albeit a long day hike for Half Dome). The others
        > mentioned previously are more remote...

      • Erica
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
          Thanks so much for sharing your itinerary! I truly appreciate it! I'm finding it really helpful to see peoples actual itineraries. Looking at a harrison map, and reading through books still leaves so many questions. So this is helpful - thank you!
        • Erica
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
            Thanks all for the thoughts on this - I'm thinking now I should plan on doing it. I suppose it will depend on the permit I end up with - but I think the idea of going back in the afternoon after hiking to camp and setting up is a great idea - as is the idea to just do it the following morning. I suppose it will depend on my permit! I would love to do Clouds Rest as well, though - so I guess as of now I'm feeling ambitious enough to try both!

            I guess I just need to see what permit i get next week - crossing my fingers!
          • Erica
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
              On Sixty lakes, Center Basin, Dusy Basin - I'm not familiar with these areas but I'm assuming they're spectacular based on your recommendation. Would you say these are more worth the side trip because of their beauty - or because of their accessibility from the trail? If you know anywhere I can check out some photos of these spots - that would be awesome!

              Erica

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Alex Cheng <ralexcheng@...> wrote:

              > I don't think you should do both Clouds Rest and Half Dome.  They give you virtually the same view - with Clouds Rest having a slightly better view, but Half Dome giving you a more famous achievement.
              > You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.

            • Alex Cheng
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                Yes, all those areas are spectacularly beautiful.  Unfortunately, my few photos with my 'point & shoot' camera just don't do them justice.  Perhaps someone with better photography skills could share some pics.

                Now the JMT also has some absolutely beautiful places - Evolution Valley, Rae Lakes...  The reason I recommended these side trips is because these places are not only stunning, but they're also much more 'peaceful' than scenic spots along the JMT.  Unlike the scenic spots along the JMT where you will see around 50 people per day during the high season during a 24 hour period, you might see just 1 or 2 people per day.

                These side trips are easily accessible from the JMT - and you (most likely) won't be sharing a lake or scenic overlook with many others.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Alex Cheng wrote:

                > I don't think you should do both Clouds Rest and Half Dome.  They give you virtually the same view - with Clouds Rest having a slightly better view, but Half Dome giving you a more famous achievement.
                > You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.

              • wcgornto
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                  Just Google "Sixty Lakes Basin" and then select "Images". There are lots and lots of photos and they are spectacular. It looks like a two mile side trip from the JMT. I will very likely do it.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                  > If you know anywhere I can check out some photos of these spots - that would be awesome!
                  >
                  > Erica

                • sanfran_rwood
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 3, 2013
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks all for the thoughts on this.
                    > I think the idea of going back in the afternoon after hiking to camp and
                    > setting up is a great idea - as is the idea to just do it the following morning.
                    > I suppose it will depend on my permit! I would love to do Clouds Rest as well.

                    Remember the day hikers are starting up the trail in the morning -- before dawn for some -- and large numbers start arriving at the infamous cables in the late morning and early afternoon. Some will linger later, but most will head back down the trail long enough before sunset that they aren't hiking in the dark.

                    Doing the cables when there is a big crowd can be quite nerve wracking, which is why I'd suggest doing Half Dome as early as possible in the morning.

                    If you aren't picky about sticking strictly to the JMT's actual route, Clouds Rest can be made part of your route. Turn left just after Sunrise Creek (at 37.74472,-119.50387; the next junction after the Half Dome side trail), and either come back back to the JMT either on the first trail after Clouds Rest (at 37.77743,-119.46928), in which case you'd only skip a bit of the JMT; or you could go all the way up to Sunrise Lakes and rejoin the JMT at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp, missing a bit more of the JMT but not making your overall trip much longer.

                    But if you do Clouds Rest, make sure you check out the Dragon's Back — the trail on the far side of Clouds Rest from Half Dome.
                    --
                    Richard
                  • brucelem12
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 3, 2013
                      Another nice way to research scenery/locations is to click the "photos" option at upper right in Google Maps. The same photos are in Google Earth as well, which is a marvelous way to get a sense of the terrain and scenery anywhere along the trail.
                      Bruce