Re: Mosquito report?

  • beemancron
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
      T-bone,

      I completed my 2 week JMT trip last weekend. A highlight trip of my life!
      The worst place for mosquitos was around Trinity Lakes, before getting into Reds Meadow.
      I agree with other areas that have been posted in response to your question.

      I do not like using DEET on my skin and believe that we are helping breed 100% DEET
      resistant mosquitos.

      I went with the following bug proof outfit:

      1. Railriders eco-mesh shirt coverd by a O2rainwear jacket, gloves.
      2. Long pants
      3. SimBLISSity Head net from Backpacking Light site ( the lightest and most unobstructed
      view of any headnets I say on this trip)

      It worked so well that I will continue using it of future trips to the Sierras when the bugs
      are out.

      I did talk to one hiker with a pants and shirt bug net outfit. He said it was effective as long
      as the mesh was not touching the skin, and one has to be careful when sitting down to not
      tear the material on the granite surfaces.

      Happy Trails.

      Paul
      The Beeman