Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Where to aim for first two night's camp out of Happy Isles?

  • Ima Person
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2008
      Jim,  the first-come permits are not necessarily only for the next day.  I got mine for starting the same day I arrived.  It just depends if there are any available or not,  whether someone failed to pick up their permit, etc.  I started the JMT back in late June so it was still early season but don't rule out hitting the trail right after you visit the backcountry office.
      Good luck !
      Al

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 1:41 PM
        This was on Friday morning, July 18th. My guess is that you would be
        ok getting there at 5am. some people didn't get in line until about
        6 am and they still got permits.