Anyone ever day hike the HI to TIM section?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
      Thinking about possibly doing this as an alternate to a HI permit (and instead, getting a TM-Whitney permit).

      What makes this somewhat tempting is that I'm thinking about combining a JMT hike with a Yosemite family vacation (so this minimizes the amount of time I'm away from my family and also minimizes our lodging expenses).

      Ideally, we'd like to book somewhere in YV for a couple of nights then book a tent cabin at TM lodge for the next couple (after our last night in YV, my wife and kids would hike with me as far as Vernal or Nevada Falls then turn around and drive up to TM, checking into the TM lodge well before my arrival). I'd hike as far as the road and then catch the shuttle to the TM lodge.

      The next day, I'd take a zero day in TM with my family (and rest those aching feet, pick up my permit, and maybe do the part of the JMT in the meadow that I skipped the previous day). The day after that, I'd start up Lyell Canyon (family might start out with me for the first couple of miles).

      By way of background I've never done the YV-TM section before (except to the top of Nevada Falls) but have done the rest of the JMT (from TM to Whitney) twice.

      On my last trip (in 2007), my two longest days were from Red's to Virginia Lake and from the VVR ferry dock to Marie Lake (both rougly 16 miles). I did each of these days with a 30-35 pound pack in about 9 hours (this was part of a stretch of doing Garnet Lake to Marie Lake in 4 days, which was pushing my limits). I expect to be in at least as good of shape this time around (I'm in my early 40's).

      Would you consider the HI-TM day hike to be a viable option for someone in my situation and, if so, how many hours would you estimate it would take me?
    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
        You could probably do it in 12 hours (or even less). Sounds like a fantastic idea to combine a family vacation with this!

        Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013
            If you do TM to HI it'll be mostly downhill. Easier to do in a day, but hard on the legs & feet.

            Kim

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2013

              I started my 2005 JMT thru-hike with the HI to TM section with my pack, though I did do a resupply at Reds to keep the weight down. I think it took me about 11 hours and I camped at the backpackers campsite in the TM campground.

              Dave