To half-dome....or not half-dome....that is the question...

  • Erica
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 28 7:47 AM
      I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.

      I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)

      I live in CA, so I can come back another summer and do half dome - but I also don't want to miss out on it if squeezing it in will be easy enough.

      Also - if anyone has a 16 day itinerary they'd like to share - I'm all ears!
    • charliepolecat
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 28 7:57 AM
        For a choice I would say forget Half dome and the day tripping hordes from the valley and do Clouds Rest. Much better views and no crowds.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

        > I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.
        >
        > I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)

      • Ron Cordell
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 28 8:19 AM
          Hi Erica,

          Do it.

          I had a 16 day itinerary and I threw it out after the first day or so. I didn't know what my body's response to being on the trail would be so I was conservative in my planning. In the end it took me 12 days including side trips to Half Dome, Cloud's Rest and a couple of other things.

          If you start at oh dark 30 from HI and head up the trail you'll be at the Half Dome junction very early and there will be little wait. Spend as much time as you want, climb back down and head back to the trail and look for a place to camp. Don't miss it; you'll be sorry you did.

          Back to the itinerary - everyone is different, but when I got into a rhythm of walking it was more about walking until I found the conjunction of enough daylight to make camp and water. I would walk until it was getting very late because I'm not one to lounge around in camp. In the morning I get up at first light and am gone within 30 minutes, especially once the routine is down after the first couple of days.

          In the end, hike your own hike and have fun (but I highly recommend doing Half Dome).

          Cheers,

          ron

          On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Erica <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

          I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.

          I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)

          I live in CA, so I can come back another summer and do half dome - but I also don't want to miss out on it if squeezing it in will be easy enough.

          Also - if anyone has a 16 day itinerary they'd like to share - I'm all ears!

        • Spencer Goodwine

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 28 9:02 AM
                I hiked Half Dome many years ago as a day hike and it is definitely worth the effort. The cables are a really unique experience. But I'm undecided on whether to take the side trip because I'm worried about leaving my pack unattended for too long. If I do Half Dome, I'm probably going to haul the pack up the subdome and leave it right at the base of the cables rather than at the JMT/Half Dome trail junction, hike up the cables, take a few pictures, and get back down to my pack.

                The deciding factor may be which permit I get. If I get the pass through permit, I probably won't do Half Dome but if I get a permit requiring a night in LYV, it will be tempting to get a very early start the next morning, summit Half Dome, and then continue on to Cathedral Lakes for the night.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                > I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.
                >
                > I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)
                >
                > I live in CA, so I can come back another summer and do half dome - but I also don't want to miss out on it if squeezing it in will be easy enough.
                >
                > Also - if anyone has a 16 day itinerary they'd like to share - I'm all ears!

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 28 9:55 AM
                  16 days is a great amount of time for a JMT hike. And if you haven't done Half-Dome before, I would do it! It is a very cool experience, and if you get an early start out of LYV or even HI, you will be fine. If you don't have the LYV 1st night permit, just camp at the JMT Clouds Rest Jct the 1st night. Even better, you could do what I did a few years back and get to the Clouds Rest Jct, set up camp, and double back the easy 1/2 mile to do HD with a lightened pack after the hoards of day hikers have died down and have HD to yourself before sunset! Bring a headlamp for your return trip and get down off of HD and sub dome before it is totally dark. The top of HD watching the sun set was awesome and a trip I will always remember!

                  I say go for it!

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                  > I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.
                  >
                  > I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)
                  >
                  > I live in CA, so I can come back another summer and do half dome - but I also don't want to miss out on it if squeezing it in will be easy enough.
                  >
                  > Also - if anyone has a 16 day itinerary they'd like to share - I'm all ears!

                • robert shattuck
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 28 11:21 AM
                    "How much time off the trail should I budget for it?"

                    Erica, if you have a HI to LYV option for your first day and you get a nice early start without a lot of stops AND you're trail ready, sort of . . . you can be at LYV by one p.m., set up your camp, store everything in the bear box and then grab yourself some water, food, headlamp, jacket . . . I'd say round-trip up to HD should be a casual five hours, maybe less.

                    It's all uphill from LYV and once you get to the HD junction, you get into the real thigh burners. not to mention going up the dome. I'd say getting back toLYV should take about 3/4 as long. be safe.

                    Bob

                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    From: xericamunsonx@...
                    Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:21:35 +0000
                    Subject: [John Muir Trail] To half-dome....or not half-dome....that is the question...

                    I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.

                    I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)

                    I live in CA, so I can come back another summer and do half dome - but I also don't want to miss out on it if squeezing it in wi

                  • Dave Pex
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 28 1:23 PM
                      Here is my itinerary in 2010:

                      2010 Actual: JMT Miles Other Total Miles
                      8/15/2010 Yosemite Village Little Yosemite Camp 4.4 1.4 5.8
                      8/16/2010 Little Yosemite Camp Upper Cathedral 12.8 4.0 16.8
                      8/17/2010 Upper Cathedral Lyell Base Camp 15.4 4.0 19.4
                      8/18/2010 Lyell Base Camp Garnet Lake 13.0 0.0 13.0
                      8/19/2010 Garnet Lake Red Cones 14.4 4.5 18.9
                      8/20/2010 Red Cones Squaw Lake 17.7 0.0 17.7
                      8/21/2010 Squaw Lake Vermillion Valley 8.1 5.7 13.8
                      8/22/2010 Vermillion Valley Knob with Views 16.6 1.0 17.6
                      8/23/2010 Knob with Views McClure Meadows 13.9 2.3 16.2
                      8/24/2010 McClure Meadows LeConte Canyon 15.0 6.3 21.3
                      8/25/2010 LeConte Canyon sandy site 9.02 20.4 0.0 20.4
                      8/26/2010 sandy site 9.02 Dragon Lake 19.3 1.0 20.3
                      8/27/2010 Dragon Lake Tyndall Creek 18.8 1.0 19.8
                      8/28/2010 Tyndall Creek Guitar Lake 12.2 1.5 13.7
                      8/29/2010 Guitar Lake Lone Pine Lake 7.1 5.1 12.2
                      8/30/2010 Lone Pine Lake Whitney Portal 0.0 2.5 2.5
                      Total 209.1 40.3 249.4

                      This included climbs of Half Dome (early on Day 2), Mount Spencer (near Muir Pass), Tydall Point, and Mount Whitney. "Sandy Site 9.02" refers to the Wenk list of campsites. Dragon Lake is off-trail near Rae Lakes, one of Walter "Pete" Starr's favorite places on the JMT.

                      Dave Pex

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 28 1:28 PM
                        What is Knob with views and Sandy Site?  Also where is Dragom Lake.  thanks

                        Sent from my iPad

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 28 4:49 PM
                          Sorry the posting got a bit garbled.

                          "Knob with View" is the description that Wenk (author of The John Muir Trail) gives to a campsite just north of the North Fork of Senger Creek, uphill from MTR. "Sandy Site 9.02" refers to the Wenk list of campsites, and is south of Mather Pass as you start to get into the trees (the first level, non-rocky site I could find heading south from Mather). Dragon Lake is off-trail near Rae Lakes, and the Dragon Lake was one of Walter "Pete" Starr's favorite places on the JMT. As you approach the isthmus crossing between upper and lower Rae Lakes from the north, head east on an unmarked use trail. Small cairns define a route that heads uphill to Dragon Lake. I found this lake thanks to a couple of lines Pete Starr wrote about the lake in Starr's Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region.

                          Dave

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:

                          > What is Knob with views and Sandy Site? Also where is Dragom Lake. thanks
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPad
                          >
                          > On Feb 28, 2013, at 4:23 PM, "Dave Pex" <dave@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Here is my itinerary in 2010:
                          > >
                          > > 2010 Actual: JMT Miles Other Total Miles
                          > > 8/15/2010 Yosemite Village Little Yosemite Camp 4.4 1.4 5.8
                          > > 8/16/2010 Little Yosemite Camp Upper Cathedral 12.8 4.0 16.8
                          > > 8/17/2010 Upper Cathedral Lyell Base Camp 15.4 4.0 19.4
                          > > 8/18/2010 Lyell Base Camp Garnet Lake 13.0 0.0 13.0
                          > > 8/19/2010 Garnet Lake Red Cones 14.4 4.5 18.9
                          > > 8/20/2010 Red Cones Squaw Lake 17.7 0.0 17.7
                          > > 8/21/2010 Squaw Lake Vermillion Valley 8.1 5.7 13.8
                          > > 8/22/2010 Vermillion Valley Knob with Views 16.6 1.0 17.6
                          > > 8/23/2010 Knob with Views McClure Meadows 13.9 2.3 16.2
                          > > 8/24/2010 McClure Meadows LeConte Canyon 15.0 6.3 21.3
                          > > 8/25/2010 LeConte Canyon sandy site 9.02 20.4 0.0 20.4
                          > > 8/26/2010 sandy site 9.02 Dragon Lake 19.3 1.0 20.3
                          > > 8/27/2010 Dragon Lake Tyndall Creek 18.8 1.0 19.8
                          > > 8/28/2010 Tyndall Creek Guitar Lake 12.2 1.5 13.7
                          > > 8/29/2010 Guitar Lake Lone Pine Lake 7.1 5.1 12.2
                          > > 8/30/2010 Lone Pine Lake Whitney Portal 0.0 2.5 2.5
                          > > Total 209.1 40.3 249.4
                          > >
                          > > This included climbs of Half Dome (early on Day 2), Mount Spencer (near Muir Pass), Tydall Point, and Mount Whitney. "Sandy Site 9.02" refers to the Wenk list of campsites. Dragon Lake is off-trail near Rae Lakes, one of Walter "Pete" Starr's favorite places on the JMT.
                          > >
                          > > Dave Pex
                          > >
                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling torn about Half Dome.
                          > > >
                          > > > I feel like it would be stupid to pass it up (especially that it's all permit now - and already having the permit is half the battle) - but I'm a little worried about squeezing it in with a short 16 day itinerary. What are other experience? How much time off the trail should I budget for it? (I know there can be a traffic-jam midday...not sure about earlier? Or if I left HI before dawn?)
                          > > >
                          > > > I live in CA, so I can come back another summer and do half dome - but I also don't want to miss out on it if squeezing it in will be easy enough.
                          > > >
                          > > > Also - if anyone has a 16 day itinerary they'd like to share - I'm all ears!

                        • wcgornto
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 28 6:37 PM
                            After reading this thread, I called the wilderness permit office and added Half Dome to my June 30 permit. I was already planning to hike Cloud's Rest in lieu of Half Dome. Now I am seriously considering both. If I do this, I might have to stretch to 17 or 18 miles a couple of days on my 15 day itinerary, but it is well within my capability and experience to do so.
                          • sanfran_rwood
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 28 6:58 PM
                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                              > I'm just now trying to plan my 16 day SOBO itinerary....and I'm feeling
                              > torn about Half Dome.

                              In my opinion, it depends on some factors that you haven't told us.

                              For example, where are you leaving from, and what is the restriction for your first campsite?

                              And: is a sixteen-day SoBo pushing it (an average of 14 miles per day, without zero days), or is that quite comfortable for you? It might matter when you're leaving, too, since days are much longer in July than in September, and even a slow pace can get in more miles.

                              Last year I stopped for the first night at LYV and did Half Dome the next morning. That meant I was up there and down again before the hordes of day hikers started arriving, which is why I'd recommend adding it. (My trip was 17 days, with one zero day at MTR.)

                              Even if you have to go beyond LYV, if you camp at Sunrise Creek that probably makes the Half Dome side trip in the morning even easier.

                              I'd go for it if it seems comfortable for you. Being able to miss the crowds makes it a much better experience.
                              --
                              Richard
                            • Alex Cheng
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 28 9:54 PM
                                I don't think you should do both Clouds Rest and Half Dome.  They give you virtually the same view - with Clouds Rest having a slightly better view, but Half Dome giving you a more famous achievement.

                                You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.

                                After reading this thread, I called the wilderness permit office and added Half Dome to my June 30 permit. I was already planning to hike Cloud's Rest in lieu of Half Dome. Now I am seriously considering both. If I do this, I might have to stretch to 17 or 18 miles a couple of days on my 15 day itinerary, but it is well within my capability and experience to do so.

                              • Bill Heiser
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 28 9:57 PM
                                  Another point to consider is that both Half Dome and Clouds Rest are doable as day hikes (albeit a long day hike for Half Dome).  The others mentioned previously are more remote...

                                  February 28, 2013 9:54 PM

                                  I don't think you should do both Clouds Rest and Half Dome.  They give you virtually the same view - with Clouds Rest having a slightly better view, but Half Dome giving you a more famous achievement.

                                  You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.

                                  February 28, 2013 6:37 PM

                                Message 16 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                                  Thanks. I still have four months to sort out my plans. I am happy I added the Half Dome permit to have it as an option, whether I end up taking that side trip or not. Sixty Lakes Basin definitely looks intriguing.

                                  Message 17 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                                    Another very pleasant day hike is Merced Lake.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

                                    > Another point to consider is that both Half Dome and Clouds Rest are
                                    > doable as day hikes (albeit a long day hike for Half Dome). The others
                                    > mentioned previously are more remote...
                                    >
                                    > > You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the
                                    > > Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.
                                  • Larry Beck
                                    Message 18 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                                      They even have flush toilets! :)

                                      Larry

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser wrote:

                                      > Another point to consider is that both Half Dome and Clouds Rest are
                                      > doable as day hikes (albeit a long day hike for Half Dome). The others
                                      > mentioned previously are more remote...
                                      >
                                      > > You would be better served to take a side trip from the JMT into the
                                      > > Sixty Lakes Basin, Center Basin or Dusy Basin.

                                    • cjoslyn99
                                      Message 19 of 26 , Mar 1, 2013
                                        Both are great but for JMT, I would vote for Half Dome if you've never
                                        done it simply b/c (1) you can avoid the hassle of trying to get a
                                        permit otherwise and (2) you can set yourself up to start the HD hike
                                        early in the morning from LYV etc. instead of hiking up from the valley
                                        all in one day.

                                        Message 20 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                                          Thanks so much for sharing your itinerary! I truly appreciate it! I'm finding it really helpful to see peoples actual itineraries. Looking at a harrison map, and reading through books still leaves so many questions. So this is helpful - thank you!
                                        • Erica
                                          Message 21 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                                            Thanks all for the thoughts on this - I'm thinking now I should plan on doing it. I suppose it will depend on the permit I end up with - but I think the idea of going back in the afternoon after hiking to camp and setting up is a great idea - as is the idea to just do it the following morning. I suppose it will depend on my permit! I would love to do Clouds Rest as well, though - so I guess as of now I'm feeling ambitious enough to try both!

                                            I guess I just need to see what permit i get next week - crossing my fingers!
                                          • Erica
                                            Message 22 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                                              On Sixty lakes, Center Basin, Dusy Basin - I'm not familiar with these areas but I'm assuming they're spectacular based on your recommendation. Would you say these are more worth the side trip because of their beauty - or because of their accessibility from the trail? If you know anywhere I can check out some photos of these spots - that would be awesome!

                                              Erica

                                              Message 23 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                                                Yes, all those areas are spectacularly beautiful.  Unfortunately, my few photos with my 'point & shoot' camera just don't do them justice.  Perhaps someone with better photography skills could share some pics.

                                                Now the JMT also has some absolutely beautiful places - Evolution Valley, Rae Lakes...  The reason I recommended these side trips is because these places are not only stunning, but they're also much more 'peaceful' than scenic spots along the JMT.  Unlike the scenic spots along the JMT where you will see around 50 people per day during the high season during a 24 hour period, you might see just 1 or 2 people per day.

                                                These side trips are easily accessible from the JMT - and you (most likely) won't be sharing a lake or scenic overlook with many others.

                                                Message 24 of 26 , Mar 2, 2013
                                                  Just Google "Sixty Lakes Basin" and then select "Images". There are lots and lots of photos and they are spectacular. It looks like a two mile side trip from the JMT. I will very likely do it.

                                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                                                  > If you know anywhere I can check out some photos of these spots - that would be awesome!
                                                  >
                                                  > Erica

                                                • sanfran_rwood
                                                  Message 25 of 26 , Mar 3, 2013
                                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

                                                    > Thanks all for the thoughts on this.
                                                    > I think the idea of going back in the afternoon after hiking to camp and
                                                    > setting up is a great idea - as is the idea to just do it the following morning.
                                                    > I suppose it will depend on my permit! I would love to do Clouds Rest as well.

                                                    Remember the day hikers are starting up the trail in the morning -- before dawn for some -- and large numbers start arriving at the infamous cables in the late morning and early afternoon. Some will linger later, but most will head back down the trail long enough before sunset that they aren't hiking in the dark.

                                                    Doing the cables when there is a big crowd can be quite nerve wracking, which is why I'd suggest doing Half Dome as early as possible in the morning.

                                                    If you aren't picky about sticking strictly to the JMT's actual route, Clouds Rest can be made part of your route. Turn left just after Sunrise Creek (at 37.74472,-119.50387; the next junction after the Half Dome side trail), and either come back back to the JMT either on the first trail after Clouds Rest (at 37.77743,-119.46928), in which case you'd only skip a bit of the JMT; or you could go all the way up to Sunrise Lakes and rejoin the JMT at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp, missing a bit more of the JMT but not making your overall trip much longer.

                                                    But if you do Clouds Rest, make sure you check out the Dragon's Back — the trail on the far side of Clouds Rest from Half Dome.
                                                    --
                                                    Richard
                                                  • brucelem12
                                                    Message 26 of 26 , Mar 3, 2013
                                                      Another nice way to research scenery/locations is to click the "photos" option at upper right in Google Maps. The same photos are in Google Earth as well, which is a marvelous way to get a sense of the terrain and scenery anywhere along the trail.
                                                      Bruce