Re: Critique my plan to obtain a permit

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2013
      Gail raises an interesting point that I've thought about but never found the answer to:

      When the wilderness office processes applications, I know that they put the applications in random order. However, how exactly do they process the applications after they are in random order?

      Do they:

      (A) Go through all applicants first choice and grant permits if quotas are available. Then for those who didn't get their first choice, go through all applicants second choice and grant permits if available. Then for those who didn't get their first or second choices, go through all applicants third choice and grant permits if available.

      OR

      (B) Go through permit applications one by one. If an applicant's first choice is available, grant the permit. If choice #1 is full, move to the second choice and grant permit if available. If #1 and #2 are both full, move to the third choice and grant permit if available.

      If the process is (A) then I would say that it makes more sense to request the highest quota trailhead first which would be HI>>LYV since requesting HI>>Pass Through would be competing for a much smaller number of quota spaces. If the process is (B) then I would request HI>>Pass Through as the first choice and HI>>LYV as the second choice since the ranger would just move on to the second choice on my application immediately if the first choice isn't available rather than moving on to the next applicant's first choice before ever considering my second choice.