Re: [John Muir Trail] Crossing Tioga Road

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2013
      Wow Jim, this was a very interesting lesson in trail history.  Great post!
      _

      On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Jim Ringland <jtringl@...> wrote:

      On the contrary, that little section north of highway 120 is rich in Yosemite history and absolutely belongs on a JMT excursion.  It goes past Soda Springs and Parson's Lodge: old Sierra Club haunts from before the era of the Tioga Road.    The little cabin over the springs was built in 1889.  The area was the site of the first Sierra Club High Trip in 1901 (including, of course, John Muir and daughters Helen and Wanda).  Parson's Lodge was built by the Club in 1915.  Adjacent is the McCauley cabin, built in 1898.  McCauley too was all over early Yosemite.  He arranged to have the Four Mile Trail built and then established the first hotel up at Glacier Point.  So despite the siren calls of the burger ... or perhaps in addition to them ... hike the whole trail: cross the road and see a piece of Yosemite history.

      Jim Ringland