A few JMT SOBO Permit Questions

  • shaggyat12
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2013
      Hello All,

      I've been reading up on the JMT thru-hike permit options and had a few questions about the different options. I am planning on starting my hike mid-August in Yosemite. For reference on my hiking abilities/experience, I thru-hiked the AT last year. Still will probably need time to acclimate of course.

      Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley: Obviously incredibly difficult to get, but currently my ideal choice. (Other than the fact that LYV can be crowded/noisy.)

      Happy Isles to Sunrise/Merced Lake Pass Through: Still tough to get.  I heard that you would only have to go two additional miles to camp on this one. Is that correct? Also saw via a Backpacker.com messageboard something about Morraine Dome or maybe the equivalent height of it where you can camp near a nice water slide and swimming hole that is not crowded. Is this true?

      Happy Isles to Illilouette: Easy to get. I am not on a time crunch and wouldn't hate the extra mileage/climbing. Still want to hike Half Dome if I can, and the reservation office said that my half dome permit would be good for up to three days so no issue there.

      I am kind of a purist and don't want to miss the JMT mileage based on other options. I would also like to try to spend a few days prior to starting the JMT dayhiking around Yosemite via "day of" permits provided I don't get overwhelmed by touristy aspects of the park if possible.

      Any thoughts from those who have done any of these options is much appreciated!

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2013
          I just received confirmation of my reservation for Happy Isles to Illilouette, departing on 7/26. I'm not sure I would have thought of this option, but it adds just a few miles and allows me to walk the entire trail. Thanks for the suggestion, Roleigh.

          > Joseph,
          >
          > I understand the purist thing. But the Mono Meadow TH option or the
          > Glacier Point to Illuoette Falls or Glacier Point to LYV options, all three
          > of them enable you to do a purist JMT hike if you do a dayhike the day
          > before to Nevada Falls and back. The only impact is you'll end up having a
          > few extra miles on top of the kosher JMT.
          >
          > Roleigh
          > links)<https://profiles.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
          > _
          >

          > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM, shaggyat12 <gunn.joseph@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello All,
          > >
          > > I've been reading up on the JMT thru-hike permit options and had a few
          > > questions about the different options. I am planning on starting my hike
          > > mid-August in Yosemite. For reference on my hiking abilities/experience, I
          > > thru-hiked the AT last year. Still will probably need time to acclimate of
          > > course.
          > >
          > > Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley: Obviously incredibly difficult to
          > > get, but currently my ideal choice. (Other than the fact that LYV can be
          > > crowded/noisy.)
          > >
          > > Happy Isles to Sunrise/Merced Lake Pass Through: Still tough to get. I
          > > heard that you would only have to go two additional miles to camp on this
          > > one. Is that correct? Also saw via a Backpacker.com messageboard something
          > > about Morraine Dome or maybe the equivalent height of it where you can camp
          > > near a nice water slide and swimming hole that is not crowded. Is this true?
          > >
          > > Happy Isles to Illilouette: Easy to get. I am not on a time crunch and
          > > wouldn't hate the extra mileage/climbing. Still want to hike Half Dome if I
          > > can, and the reservation office said that my half dome permit would be good
          > > for up to three days so no issue there.
          > >
          > > I am kind of a purist and don't want to miss the JMT mileage based on
          > > other options. I would also like to try to spend a few days prior to
          > > starting the JMT dayhiking around Yosemite via "day of" permits provided I
          > > don't get overwhelmed by touristy aspects of the park if possible.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts from those who have done any of these options is much
          > > appreciated!

        • shaggyat12
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 5:58 PM
            Thank you for that input. I have received my permit for Happy Isles > Illilouette. They processed my application even though I marked it to not be processed unless I got a half dome permit. If I am not able to get a permit to do it when I get there, it won't be the end of the world. Will give me a few other options to try when I get out there.