Re: [John Muir Trail] Technology for Dummies

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      Yes, I forgot to address that point.  Ron is correct.  In 2011 when we had a record snow pack year, all of us were anxious to hear from JMT hikers on the trail.  One of our group had a smartphone with her Spot Connect device and was able to update her facebook page daily while on the trail via it's one-way via satellite messaging system (which had custom reports on snow and stream conditions daily).  It was really cool.

      _

      On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Ron Cordell <ron.cordell@...> wrote:

      John,

      One thing no one has responded to yet is the idea of daily updates from your cell phone. This is not possible except in the vicinity of Reds Meadow store and the trail south of the junction with the VVR trail and north of Bear Ridge trail, Yosemite and maybe at Tuolumne Meadows and finally around Lone Pine. Other than those small areas there isn't any cell signal.

      If you need to send daily updates you would need to use something like the Spot Connect or DeLorme InReach.

      On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM, John <jfstring1@...> wrote:

      My son and daughter tell me my flip phone is a dinosaur. So I'm off to the Verizon store next week to buy an I Phone. They think this will allow me to upload daily progress reports on the JMT to some website so they can follow my progress. They also think I can download JMT hiking maps and GPS waypoints (whatever those are) to the I Phone. Anyone know if this is really true?