Tips on applying for a permit through SEKI?

  • Margaret Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hi All,

      I'm new to the forum and have found the archived messages and current discussions very informative, yet i still have a question :) I'm part of a small group that is planning a short thru-hike on the JMT at the beginning of August. We are planning to leave from Road's End in Sequoia and take the Wood's Creek trail to the JMT south to Whitney Portal.

      Here's where I'm looking for tips or suggestions. Anyone know if permits are tricky to get from SEKI or do folks tend to get their first choice? Our current planned start date is Wed, July 31st as we figured a mid-week start would help our chances.

      Permit applications can be submitted starting March 1st and the app allows for three choices. Assuming our group can be flexible on either trailhead or entry date, am I better off using the three choices to vary our start date out of Wood's Creek or sticking to our start date and varying the trailhead? We really would prefer the Wood's Creek trailhead (as we'd then go clockwise on part of the Rae Lakes loop and not miss the Rae Lakes) so I'm leaning towards just varying our start dates but wonder what other's experiences have been.

      As far as I can tell we just get one shot at applying early for a permit since all dates for the summer open all at once on March 1st. And then you have to wait 2 weeks to hear what you've gotten. I checked recreation.gov and it seems that SEKI wilderness permits aren't reservable through that system. Or do I have that wrong?

      Thank you,
      Peggy Hutchinson