Current Gear List

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
      I've posted my current gear list to the Files section. I'm not sure this direct link will work: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/dE0pUbn3E23NBtJj3fY8szcz3TJoB4fiRHP6_82em_o1vZp5B4OrIeq-QA4Qi3QBfCu-vvVBJRlFLLzB6xoUxrl5GHGFM1ZZj-k/Gear/Gear%20lists/2013JMTGearList-Feb2013.pdf

      If anyone has feedback, especially on items I haven't yet purchased, that would be great. I divided the estimated pack starting weight into segments based on each resupply point and the consumables I anticipate carrying. Right now it looks pretty good with a starting weight of 26.7 pounds at Happy Isles, 28.4 pounds at Tuolumne, 30.2 pounds at Red's, and 38.2 pounds at MTR (including all consumables). Not ultra light but between 17-24% of my body weight which seems reasonable. But I do have a nagging sense of having either leaving something important out or carrying something unnecessary. Any feedback appreciated (today is six months to the day until I fly to California)!
    • Frank Dumville
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
        You list a couple of spare shirts. I would make the spare shirt a heavier one. Even on a cold day the down parka might be too much insulation to hike in. I usually carry a 100 wt fleece top and windshirt for hiking on cold days. I leave the puffy jacket for camp and stops. I use DriDucks but prefer to have the separate windshirt.

        Are you going to bring sleep sock to go with your sleep clothes?

        A few items you probably just forgot to put on your spreadsheet:
        Tent stakes
        Do you have extra line for tight pitches?
        sunglasses
        chapstick
        compass
        lighter or matches

        Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply.  Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/6j6axeq - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail. We encourage all to join the JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar Yahoo Group, just send a blank email to: JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        .
      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          That's a great idea on the shirt. I was thinking of omitting the extra long sleeve shirt and I can instead replace it with a warmer one. I am leaning toward adding a wind shirt since I decided to give the DriDucks a try rather than opting for a more expensive rain shell. I don't think I'd want to use the DriDucks as a wind shirt. Down parka is only for camp/stops.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Frank Dumville <nccctsd@...> wrote:

          > You list a couple of spare shirts. I would make the spare shirt a heavier one. Even on a cold day the down parka might be too much insulation to hike in. I usually carry a 100 wt fleece top and windshirt for hiking on cold days. I leave the puffy jacket for camp and stops. I use DriDucks but prefer to have the separate windshirt.
          >
          > Are you going to bring sleep sock to go with your sleep clothes?
          >
          > A few items you probably just forgot to put on your spreadsheet:
          > Tent stakes
          > Do you have extra line for tight pitches?
          > sunglasses
          > chapstick
          > compass
          > lighter or matches
        • vege_matic
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2013
            All gear choices come down to personal preference and priorities, but here are some
            things that I did differently...

            In 2011 I carried a puffy jacket and Frogg Toggs. The Toggs provided rain protection,
            wind protection, and a little extra warmth when I first hit the trail in the morning. I
            neither carried nor missed a separate wind shirt. I don't think I ever wore the puffy
            while hiking, only on summits or in camp.

            Regarding separate swim shorts: I swam in my underwear. Nobody cared. Choose
            undies that won't be revealing when wet and call it good.

            Water containers: I carried only a 2-L bladder and Aqua Mira and it was plenty for me,
            although it did require some planning ahead for water sources. Carrying an extra liter
            bottle would alleviate that inconvenience.

            I did not carry a bucket. After the first day or two I had some zipper lock bags
            that had previously held meals. They served my "bucket" needs, which were few.

            I did not carry a separate sleeping bag stuff sack. I used a waterproof pack liner and
            that was all. In fact, I preferred having my sleeping bag unstuffed so that it would
            fill in the odd gaps between other items in my pack.

            I second the suggestion to bring sleep socks. Loose-fitting fleece socks were more
            than a luxury in the sleeping bag at night. Hiking socks will be too snug and will
            constrict the vessels carrying warm blood to your toes.
            -vegematic