Mosquito report?

  • tyler
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
      Hello All-

      I was wondering if anyone who has been on the JMT lately can give a
      mosquito/bug report. I'm leaving from Yosemite Valley on August 7th
      and am trying to gauge how numerous they're going to be in a week's
      time. Thanks!

      T-Bone
      (Tyler)
    • Reuben Gerber
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
        Always bad in between Thousand Island Lake to Donahue Pass. Was up last week around Lamark Lakes and they were crazy bad early evening. I meet a couple hiking south on JMT that left the trail at Piute and they said the mosquito's were non stop all day around TI Lake and D.P. Take the head net and Bug Dope.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
          I hopped onto the trail at Woods Creek crossing coming from Paradise Valley and walked it from there southward to Whitney. The places that were bad for mosquitos was Rae Lakes, Vidette Meadow and Wallace Creek. I think the only place where I didn't see any bugs where we camped was a spot about 2 miles south of Forrester Pass. For the most part there will be bugs all along, but those three places I mentioned were really bad. I think Lower Vidette meadow was the worse. I felt like a bat because everytime I opened my mouth I got a mouth full of bugs. This was as of the first two weeks of July.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
            It's just a really good idea to hike in August. OUr
            experience in the Sierras is that most mosquitos are
            dead by then.
            --- Reuben Gerber <reubengerber@...> wrote:

            > Always bad in between Thousand Island Lake to
            > Donahue Pass. Was up last week around Lamark Lakes
            > and they were crazy bad early evening. I meet a
            > couple hiking south on JMT that left the trail at
            > Piute and they said the mosquito's were non stop all
            > day around TI Lake and D.P. Take the head net and
            > Bug Dope.
            >
            > --- On Wed, 7/30/08, tyler <cheshire_242@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: tyler <cheshire_242@...>
            > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Mosquito report?
            > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 10:21 AM
            >

            > Hello All-
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone who has been on the JMT
            > lately can give a
            > mosquito/bug report. I'm leaving from Yosemite
            > Valley on August 7th
            > and am trying to gauge how numerous they're going to
            > be in a week's
            > time. Thanks!
            >
            > T-Bone
            > (Tyler)

            > removed]

          • Misha
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
              I agree, they were crazy bad between donohue pass and thousand
              island lake, and also for sections of the trail between there and
              Red's meadow.

              Bring PLENTY of bug repellent and the mosquito head net for sure!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Reuben Gerber
              <reubengerber@...> wrote:

              > Always bad in between Thousand Island Lake to Donahue Pass. Was up
              last week around Lamark Lakes and they were crazy bad early evening.
              I meet a couple hiking south on JMT that left the trail at Piute and
              they said the mosquito's were non stop all day around TI Lake and
              D.P. Take the head net and Bug Dope.

            • beemancron
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1 8:33 AM
                T-bone,

                I completed my 2 week JMT trip last weekend. A highlight trip of my life!
                The worst place for mosquitos was around Trinity Lakes, before getting into Reds Meadow.
                I agree with other areas that have been posted in response to your question.

                I do not like using DEET on my skin and believe that we are helping breed 100% DEET
                resistant mosquitos.

                I went with the following bug proof outfit:

                1. Railriders eco-mesh shirt coverd by a O2rainwear jacket, gloves.
                2. Long pants
                3. SimBLISSity Head net from Backpacking Light site ( the lightest and most unobstructed
                view of any headnets I say on this trip)

                It worked so well that I will continue using it of future trips to the Sierras when the bugs
                are out.

                I did talk to one hiker with a pants and shirt bug net outfit. He said it was effective as long
                as the mesh was not touching the skin, and one has to be careful when sitting down to not
                tear the material on the granite surfaces.

                Happy Trails.

                Paul
                The Beeman