Re: [John Muir Trail] Red's Meadow Store- what do they stock?

  • dc t
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
      Here is an important number that you may need when you exit at Whitney. I used this guy this summer and  he was great. Very prompt, user freindly and the people that work at the Whitney Portal store know him well  and they will contact him for you or allow you to use the phone when you come down off Whitney. He gave me permission to post this information, so her goes. I'd call in advance  since he  is very popular.

      Mt.Whitney Shuttle Service
      Robert (Bob) Ennis
      (760) 876-1915

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
        The Red's Meadow store has the basics you would need: dried dinners,
        snacks, etc, but it's very pricey. I payed almost $9 for a bottle of
        bug repellent.
        If you ask the guy who works there about the backpacker's box in the
        back, he will show you three boxes stuffed full of backpackers' extra
        food that they left there. I just left a bunch of it there myself.
        Also, the bear boxes at the backpacker's campsite have bags/boxes of
        extra food too. I enjoyed someone's chips & salsa =)

        My suggestion is that you look through those things before you pay too
        much at the store or bus all the way into Mammoth.

        Misha

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking at my supplies and considering doing a mini-resupply at
        > the Red's Meadow store. What sorts of things do they stock, and how
        > are the prices? I just want to mail stuff to Tuolumne and MTR, but
        > wouldn't mind saving a few pounds. My plan is about 3 days from
        > Tuolumne to Reds and another 3 to MTR.
        >
        > Jim
        > Aug 10 Yosemite departure

      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
          Muir Trail Ranch also has a lot of left behind items
          from hikers.