Re: Sleeping Pad for September - topic shifting

  • Stephen Kundell
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      Sleep apnea is actually fairly common with abrupt ascent to high
      altitude (over 10K). It is a paradoxical reaction to low oxygen
      concentration. This is one of the things acetazolamide (diamox) tends to
      correct.

      I am not too concerned that diphenhydramine (benadryl) represents a
      significant risk as it is not much of a respiratory depressant. It will
      dry your throat. the conventional dose is 25mg, but they are available
      as 50 mg. I would err on the low side at high altitude. I would not use
      benzodiazepine type sleep meds because of concern of respiratory
      depression, and I feel the same about alcohol (until acclimated).

      Regarding the pain meds, be aware that there is no free ride. It is true
      that doses of tylenol above 4 gm / d can zap your liver, but a single
      dose of 2 x 500mg once daily will not be an issue. Ibuprofin can cause
      gastric ulceration, and can lower kidney function. Be especially
      cautious of using either pain medicine if you are dehydrated, as they
      can cause kidney impairment, additive to that of dehydration. I
      experience this on 5/30/2011 when I hiked to Sunrise HSC on snow shoes.
      I got a little dehydrated, took my usual ibuprofin 600mg every night to
      sleep. When I returned home, I had gained several pounds, had swelling
      of my legs, and my creatinine (measure of kidney function) had gone up
      to 1.6.... not good. Everything eventually corrected, but all my kidney
      specialty colleagues stressed staying off the NSAIDs (ibuprofin, alleve,
      etc). In researching this, I did find some interesting research on the
      kidney adaptation of hill walkers in England. for another time.
      Stephen