Red's Meadow Store- what do they stock?

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
      I'm looking at my supplies and considering doing a mini-resupply at
      the Red's Meadow store. What sorts of things do they stock, and how
      are the prices? I just want to mail stuff to Tuolumne and MTR, but
      wouldn't mind saving a few pounds. My plan is about 3 days from
      Tuolumne to Reds and another 3 to MTR.

      Jim
      Aug 10 Yosemite departure
    • Ima Person
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
        Jim,  I heard reports from several people that there is a very frequent and convenient shuttle from Reds into Mammouth, where you should have a much better selection without a big time penalty.
        Al

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
          On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:
          > Jim, I heard reports from several people that there is a very frequent and
          > convenient shuttle from Reds into Mammoth, where you should have a much
          > better selection without a big time penalty.
          > Al

          We rode the Devils Postpile shuttle last month. It is convenient but
          to get from Red's Meadow to the Vons supermarket requires three
          busses. First the $7 round trip Devils Postpile shuttle to Mammoth
          Mountain ski area, then the free mountain bike shuttle to "The
          Village" then the free Purple Line shuttle to Vons. Each bus runs on
          a 1/2 hour frequency. I estimate it would take at least 2 hours each
          way. I'd rather carry the extra 5 pounds than break up the trip.

          I was just hoping to get an idea of what sorts of things the store
          carries. I can guess they have chips, dip, candy, and energy bars.
          How about Mtn. House type dried entrees? Cocoa? etc.

          Jim
        • dc t
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
            Here is an important number that you may need when you exit at Whitney. I used this guy this summer and  he was great. Very prompt, user freindly and the people that work at the Whitney Portal store know him well  and they will contact him for you or allow you to use the phone when you come down off Whitney. He gave me permission to post this information, so her goes. I'd call in advance  since he  is very popular.

            Mt.Whitney Shuttle Service
            Robert (Bob) Ennis
            (760) 876-1915

            > Jim, I heard reports from several people that there is a very frequent and
            > convenient shuttle from Reds into Mammoth, where you should have a much
            > better selection without a big time penalty.
            > Al

            We rode the Devils Postpile shuttle last month. It is convenient but
            to get from Red's Meadow to the Vons supermarket requires three
            busses. First the $7 round trip Devils Postpile shuttle to Mammoth
            Mountain ski area, then the free mountain bike shuttle to "The
            Village" then the free Purple Line shuttle to Vons. Each bus runs on
            a 1/2 hour frequency. I estimate it would take at least 2 hours each
            way. I'd rather carry the extra 5 pounds than break up the trip.

            I was just hoping to get an idea of what sorts of things the store
            carries. I can guess they have chips, dip, candy, and energy bars.
            How about Mtn. House type dried entrees? Cocoa? etc.

            Jim

          • Misha
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
              The Red's Meadow store has the basics you would need: dried dinners,
              snacks, etc, but it's very pricey. I payed almost $9 for a bottle of
              bug repellent.
              If you ask the guy who works there about the backpacker's box in the
              back, he will show you three boxes stuffed full of backpackers' extra
              food that they left there. I just left a bunch of it there myself.
              Also, the bear boxes at the backpacker's campsite have bags/boxes of
              extra food too. I enjoyed someone's chips & salsa =)

              My suggestion is that you look through those things before you pay too
              much at the store or bus all the way into Mammoth.

              Misha

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

              > I'm looking at my supplies and considering doing a mini-resupply at
              > the Red's Meadow store. What sorts of things do they stock, and how
              > are the prices? I just want to mail stuff to Tuolumne and MTR, but
              > wouldn't mind saving a few pounds. My plan is about 3 days from
              > Tuolumne to Reds and another 3 to MTR.
              >
              > Jim
              > Aug 10 Yosemite departure

            • Steve Schauer
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
                Muir Trail Ranch also has a lot of left behind items
                from hikers.