Muir Trail Ranch bucket- are glass items safe?

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27 10:58 PM
      I'm packing some "luxury" items for my camp in the vicinity of Muir
      Trail Ranch. A big can of beef stew, can of juice, chocolate, Fritos.
      The big question is whether a jar of salsa and a couple bottles of
      adult beverage are likely to break.

      Also I can't figure out how my 10 pounds of food plus a few luxuries
      end up completely filling the bucket and weighing 23 pounds.

      Jim
      Aug 10 start from Yosemite.
    • hikelv
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27 11:39 PM
        I think they use pack horses to bring the buckets in. Maybe cans instead?

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

        > I'm packing some "luxury" items for my camp in the vicinity of Muir
        > Trail Ranch. A big can of beef stew, can of juice, chocolate, Fritos.
        > The big question is whether a jar of salsa and a couple bottles of
        > adult beverage are likely to break.
        >
        > Also I can't figure out how my 10 pounds of food plus a few luxuries
        > end up completely filling the bucket and weighing 23 pounds.
        >
        > Jim
        > Aug 10 start from Yosemite.

      • zmortalcityz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28 12:37 AM
          Repackage it! Lighter weight and less trash out on the trail. Buy
          salsa in a plastic container. Store the liquor in old soda bottles,
          etc. They even sell lightweight plastic 'backpacker' flasks. Bring
          powdered drinks - lemonade is great. Its not like the can of juice
          was 100%, pulpy, non-pasteurized, and not-from-concentrate anyways.
          Get dehydrated beef stew or soup mix + jerky. I ended up getting (a
          very full) 2 weeks of food/snacks/drinks/fuel in 20 lbs.

          To answer your question - yes the glass is likely enough to break.
          And who wants to deal with bubble wrap or peanuts at camp. Seems
          especially silly to have that extra weight to pack out as well (even
          if its not you - someone or something has to pack it out).

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim W" <jimqpublic@...> wrote:

          > I'm packing some "luxury" items for my camp in the vicinity of Muir
          > Trail Ranch. A big can of beef stew, can of juice, chocolate, Fritos.
          > The big question is whether a jar of salsa and a couple bottles of
          > adult beverage are likely to break.
          >
          > Also I can't figure out how my 10 pounds of food plus a few luxuries
          > end up completely filling the bucket and weighing 23 pounds.
          >
          > Jim
          > Aug 10 start from Yosemite.

        • Jim W
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28 9:02 AM
            After a week of dried food with another week ahead I want some
            non-dried stuff for one meal. The horse that carries 20 pounds in can
            easily carry a couple pounds out. I'll switch out with non-glass
            salsa containers and swap wine for the hard cider. I'm 99% sure that
            the 12 oz. bottles of hard cider packed in the middle of the bucket
            would be safe, but the 1% risk of broken glass and liquid saturating
            my food is probably not worth it.