Bearikade rental vs purchase and resell

  • David Thofern
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
      There have been several discussions about renting a Bearikade bear canister. My wife and I rented a Bearikade for a six-day trip in the Tetons. In retrospect, I'm wondering if we would have been smarter to purchase the Bearikade and then resell it, say, on Ebay. I realize that Wild Ideas offers a discount for long-term hikers on JMT. I've never seen a used Bearikade for sale but I'd think a used one would essentially be as good as a new one so they'd command a pretty good resale price. Has anyone ever tried reselling a Bearikade?

      Dave
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
        On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM, David Thofern <dthofern@...> wrote:
        Has anyone ever tried reselling a Bearikade?

        I haven't, but I was trying to buy one used and found that they usually were listed at a very small discount below list price. Since the prices were not reduced at a later time, I assume they sold. I think your proposed strategy is probably a good one.  Only hitch is that, once you have one, you may not want to give it up. They're great.

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
          I went through the same buy vs. rent decision recently. Wild Ideas offers a 45% discount for JMT thru hikers. The daily rate for the Weekender is $5. $6 for the Expedition. The Weekender is too small for my MTR-Whitney segment so I would have had to go with the Expedition which I think is somewhat too large and would force vertical placement in my pack.

          My hike plus zero days is scheduled for 20 days so the rental cost of the Expedition would have been $66 (plus $12 shipping) with the 45% discount. You would probably have to spend another $12 to ship it back. Total cost $90.

          I decided to purchase a 12 inch custom Bearikade which is slightly less than halfway between the Weekender and Expedition in terms of length and volume. The cost was $268 (plus $12 shipping) = $280.

          So just doing the math, the cost of buying was about 3x the cost of renting. But I got exactly what I wanted in terms of the custom size. If I choose to sell after the trip, as long as I can get more than $190 I would be better off than if I had rented. But I doubt I would sell it since I intend to take future trips as well. Also, I anticipate using the canister locally at Shenandoah National Park where canisters are not allowed but bear density is very, very high and I don't trust my tree hanging skills to keep food away from these very smart bears.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David Thofern <dthofern@...> wrote:

          > There have been several discussions about renting a Bearikade bear canister. My wife and I rented a Bearikade for a six-day trip in the Tetons. In retrospect, I'm wondering if we would have been smarter to purchase the Bearikade and then resell it, say, on Ebay. I realize that Wild Ideas offers a discount for long-term hikers on JMT. I've never seen a used Bearikade for sale but I'd think a used one would essentially be as good as a new one so they'd command a pretty good resale price. Has anyone ever tried reselling a Bearikade?
          >
          > Dave

        • ravi_jmt2013
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
            "where canisters are not allowed"

            Meant to say where canisters are not required ... I'm assuming they are allowed :)

            > I went through the same buy vs. rent decision recently. Wild Ideas offers a 45% discount for JMT thru hikers. The daily rate for the Weekender is $5. $6 for the Expedition. The Weekender is too small for my MTR-Whitney segment so I would have had to go with the Expedition which I think is somewhat too large and would force vertical placement in my pack.
            >
            > My hike plus zero days is scheduled for 20 days so the rental cost of the Expedition would have been $66 (plus $12 shipping) with the 45% discount. You would probably have to spend another $12 to ship it back. Total cost $90.
            >
            > I decided to purchase a 12 inch custom Bearikade which is slightly less than halfway between the Weekender and Expedition in terms of length and volume. The cost was $268 (plus $12 shipping) = $280.
            >
            > So just doing the math, the cost of buying was about 3x the cost of renting. But I got exactly what I wanted in terms of the custom size. If I choose to sell after the trip, as long as I can get more than $190 I would be better off than if I had rented. But I doubt I would sell it since I intend to take future trips as well. Also, I anticipate using the canister locally at Shenandoah National Park where canisters are not allowed but bear density is very, very high and I don't trust my tree hanging skills to keep food away from these very smart bears.
            >

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David Thofern <dthofern@> wrote:
            > >
            > > There have been several discussions about renting a Bearikade bear canister. My wife and I rented a Bearikade for a six-day trip in the Tetons. In retrospect, I'm wondering if we would have been smarter to purchase the Bearikade and then resell it, say, on Ebay. I realize that Wild Ideas offers a discount for long-term hikers on JMT. I've never seen a used Bearikade for sale but I'd think a used one would essentially be as good as a new one so they'd command a pretty good resale price. Has anyone ever tried reselling a Bearikade?
            > >
            > > Dave

          • wcgornto
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
              I have also purchased a 12 inch Bearikade. I have discovered that it WILL NOT fit horizontally in a ULA Catalyst. It would if it was a half inch shorter. It will fit horizontally in a Six Moon Designs Starlyte.

              As I don't plan to purchase any additional packs, I have to decide between a horizontal carry in a Starlyte vs. a vertical carry in a Catalyst for my JMT hike. The Starlyte took me from Maine to Georgia on the AT and it still has plenty of life in it. However, it has no framesheet, rather a zip pocket for folding up your sleep pad and using it as a framesheet. It weighs less than the Catalyst but generally does not carry as comfortably as the Catalyst.

              I will probably end up going with the Catalyst and a vertical carry for the Bearikade.

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wcgornto" <wcgornto@...> wrote:

                > I have also purchased a 12 inch Bearikade. I have discovered that it WILL NOT fit horizontally in a ULA Catalyst.

                I haven't received my Bearikade yet but that would be quite disappointing ... ULA seemed to think that since the BV-500 could barely fit at 12.7 inches, the Bearikade would fit at 12 inches. However, the larger diameter could be the limiting factor.

                I'm not sure whether it will matter but I have the large Catalyst. I'll post one way or another once I test this out hopefully within the next week.
              • mtman492000
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
                  I purchased a Bearikade for my JMT thru-hike in 2005 and sold it at BPL easily within 10% of my purchase price. I wish I had kept it because I could have used it on several other occasions, but you won't have any trouble selling it if you choose to go that route.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David Thofern <dthofern@...> wrote:

                  > There have been several discussions about renting a Bearikade bear canister. My wife and I rented a Bearikade for a six-day trip in the Tetons. In retrospect, I'm wondering if we would have been smarter to purchase the Bearikade and then resell it, say, on Ebay. I realize that Wild Ideas offers a discount for long-term hikers on JMT. I've never seen a used Bearikade for sale but I'd think a used one would essentially be as good as a new one so they'd command a pretty good resale price. Has anyone ever tried reselling a Bearikade?
                  >
                  > Dave

                • wcgornto
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
                    My catalyst is a medium. Maybe large would make a difference, but I believe size difference is based on torso, which is a function of length.

                    Just to clarify, the 12 inch Bearikade will fit into my Catalyst ... barely ... just inside the pack below the extension collar. It stops dead in its tracks right there as the arch of the framesheet comes into play. There might be some manipulation of the framesheet that could be done to make the Bearikade fit lower in the pack, but I am not inclined to fundamentally alter the pack to make the Bearikade fit.

                    A vertical orientation with my sleeping bag loosely at the bottom, the Bearikade vertically inserted next and then other items packed around and above the Bearikade might do the trick. If this doesn't work, I will simply use my Starlyte.

                    I don't have a BV500 to measure, but my Bearikade is exactly 12" in length with a 9" diameter at each end. The BV500 is listed as having a 12.7" length and an 8.7" diameter. However, the BV500 has less diameter at the top and is tapered on the other end. This slight difference may make all the difference as respects fit.

                    It's a bit disappointing, as I bought the Catalyst after watching its online video showing the BV500 going in and out of the pack. Not all is lost, as I have other uses for the Catalyst where a large bear canister with a week supply of food is not needed. Plus, I might find that it works just fine with vertical orientation of the Bearikade.

                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wcgornto" <wcgornto@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have also purchased a 12 inch Bearikade. I have discovered that it WILL NOT fit horizontally in a ULA Catalyst.
                    >
                    > I haven't received my Bearikade yet but that would be quite disappointing ... ULA seemed to think that since the BV-500 could barely fit at 12.7 inches, the Bearikade would fit at 12 inches. However, the larger diameter could be the limiting factor.
                    >
                    > I'm not sure whether it will matter but I have the large Catalyst. I'll post one way or another once I test this out hopefully within the next week.

                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
                      I had a Bearikade Expedition which I used in my Catalyst (small).  I put my sleeping bag in first and then my canister with stuff around it and on top.  It went quite low down in the Catalyst.  I could close (roll) up the extension collar all the way - didn't need to use it even with the canister inside.

                      Barbara

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" wrote:

                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wcgornto" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have also purchased a 12 inch Bearikade. I have discovered that it WILL NOT fit horizontally in a ULA Catalyst.
                      >
                      > I haven't received my Bearikade yet but that would be quite disappointing ... ULA seemed to think that since the BV-500 could barely fit at 12.7 inches, the Bearikade would fit at 12 inches. However, the larger diameter could be the limiting factor.
                      >
                      > I'm not sure whether it will matter but I have the large Catalyst. I'll post one way or another once I test this out hopefully within the next week.

                    • Dale Stuart
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 17, 2013
                        I sort of ran into the same issue.  My pack handles a Garcia canister (12" X 8.8")horizontally just fine, but the BV500 (12.7" X 8.7") was too tight horizontally for my comfort so I carry it vertical. When you do the math the BV is only 1" bigger (2H + 2W = perimeter), but the key is Garcia has some tapering at the ends, which makes all the difference.

                        Dale

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 27, 2013
                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wcgornto" <wcgornto@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have also purchased a 12 inch Bearikade. I have discovered that it WILL NOT fit horizontally in a ULA Catalyst.

                          Following up on the custom 12 inch custom Bearikade ... I received the canister today and is indeed too large to fit in the ULA Catalyst horizontally. This is my fault - I obviously did a poor job estimating the appropriate size.

                          However, now that I have the canister I can see that vertical placement is going to work much better anyway and I think the size (750 cubic inches) is going to be fine for my purposes. I think the Expedition would be enormous in the pack. So it's all good I think. And this is one impressive piece of gear. It also weighs in just as expected.

                          If anyone is ordering custom and wants to fit horizontally in a Catalyst, I'd say go with 11 inches or 11.5 inches at the most. But I really think vertical placement is a more natural fit in the catalyst based on loading up my gear.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 27, 2013
                            I think the purchase and selling of a Bearikade is the best way to go.  There is basically nothing to wear down except the "O" ring which can be easily replaced inexpensively, so they hold their resale value better than virtually anything else in the backpacking gear world.  You could easily sell a unit for cost minus $50 at BackPackingLight.com or Ebay.  I've bought two used ones over the years which I'm not interested in selling as I use them as loaners for close friends who hike with me in exchange for whatever.  You'll find a purchaser almost immediately once you list them for sale (especially at BPL).

                            Roleigh
                            _

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 27, 2013
                              I agree with your observations and that's my plan. Vertically, the canister leaves unused space at the bottom of the pack. However, with sleeping bag going in first, it will fill that space before the canister goes in. Then everything else will fit on either side or above the canister.

                              > Following up on the custom 12 inch custom Bearikade ... I received the canister today and is indeed too large to fit in the ULA Catalyst horizontally. This is my fault - I obviously did a poor job estimating the appropriate size.
                              >
                              > However, now that I have the canister I can see that vertical placement is going to work much better anyway and I think the size (750 cubic inches) is going to be fine for my purposes. I think the Expedition would be enormous in the pack. So it's all good I think. And this is one impressive piece of gear. It also weighs in just as expected.
                              >
                              > If anyone is ordering custom and wants to fit horizontally in a Catalyst, I'd say go with 11 inches or 11.5 inches at the most. But I really think vertical placement is a more natural fit in the catalyst based on loading up my gear.

                            • lkrlb44
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 28, 2013
                                I'm in the same predicament as you and the advice you are receiving is good. Let me add another consideration. If you don't have $312 in your dresser drawer like me, rent one for the trip. Within one calendar year you can apply the full rental fee towards the purchase of a new cannister (same size you rented). So when you have the cash you can buy the cannister and keep it or sell a brand new one for near full price.

                                Ladd

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David Thofern <dthofern@...> wrote:

                                > There have been several discussions about renting a Bearikade bear canister. My wife and I rented a Bearikade for a six-day trip in the Tetons. In retrospect, I'm wondering if we would have been smarter to purchase the Bearikade and then resell it, say, on Ebay. I realize that Wild Ideas offers a discount for long-term hikers on JMT. I've never seen a used Bearikade for sale but I'd think a used one would essentially be as good as a new one so they'd command a pretty good resale price. Has anyone ever tried reselling a Bearikade?
                                >
                                > Dave

                              • Rebecca Tatum White
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 1, 2013
                                  We camp in the Sierras often enough that it was worth it to buy our own.  We set up an IFTTT trigger to search for bear canisters on craigslist and email us when it found one for sale.  Before too long a couple came up for sale and we were able to get two for about $50.

                                  If you would want to resell yours after your hike, I think there is a very good market for them and you should be able to get a nice chunk of change back.

                                • Drew Miller
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 1, 2013
                                    Hi Rebecca,

                                    Can you email me how I would setup an IFTTT trigger for a bearkalied canister as you did. I need to get one by July. Dmiller1776@...

                                    Thanks,
                                         Drew

                                    On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Rebecca Tatum White <jazminhumboldt@...> wrote:

                                    We camp in the Sierras often enough that it was worth it to buy our own.  We set up an IFTTT trigger to search for bear canisters on craigslist and email us when it found one for sale.  Before too long a couple came up for sale and we were able to get two for about $50.

                                    If you would want to resell yours after your hike, I think there is a very good market for them and you should be able to get a nice chunk of change back.

                                  • robert shattuck
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 1, 2013
                                      " Can you email me how I would setup an IFTTT trigger for a bearkalied canister "

                                      Okay, this one had me for a second . . . what's an IFTTT trigger, I wondered? . . . I usually just stick my canister in a handy crevice or between a few fallen trees . . . but now they've come out with this new IFTTT trigger thing that goes with the Bearikade canister . . . what's it do?  . . .  man, am I behind the times. Ha!

                                      Might be fun to have a motion/vibration triggered popper thing on your canister––bear nudges it and BANG!! . . .

                                      Bob

                                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com