Side Trips between Red's and MTR

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2013
      I've already made a reservation at MTR and now that I've heard back from Red's Meadow Resort, I'm trying to decide how many days to give myself between Red's and MTR, so I can then book a room at Red's. In terms of hiking days, it is pretty clear that four days should be more than sufficient but I'm kicking around the idea of giving myself five days if there are any side trips worth taking in the area (or if I decide to go into VVR - unlikely since I won't have a resupply there but maybe I'll really want a restaurant meal).

      In terms of side trips, there is Iva Bell Hot Springs, but since I want to hike the entire JMT, I would have to divert there at Purple Lake for what looks like a 9.5 one way trip and a lot of elevation loss... probably not worth it.

      Then there is Mott Lake which is a 2.3 mile one way side trip from Pocket Meadow after Silver Pass.

      Rose Lake is 1.0 mile and 500 feet above Rosemarie Meadow ...

      and that's about it from looking at my maps. Does anyone know of other worthwhile side trips? Or spots where a zero or near zero might be nice?

      My other motivation for giving myself an extra day is that I may just not be hiking as fast as I anticipate (although I really doubt that given my average daily mileage is just 12.5 miles). Since slower than anticipated hiking is a low probability, it would be nice if there are some worthwhile side trips that I could pursue. Or I suppose I could just do a zero day somewhere or maybe a near zero like camping at both Purple and Virginia Lakes one night each.

      Ironically, there are many side trips I can see on the MTR to Whitney segment but I won't be able to do many (or any) with the food I plan to carry.
    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2013
        Purple Lake may still be a disaster area in terms of camping options
        from the blowdown last year. I know people last year that side-tripped
        up to Duck Lake to camp and were happy.

        If you're into peak bagging, heard of people side-tripping to Seven
        Gables and/or Mt. Seneger in that area near where you hit the Bear Creek
        Crossing.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
            I feel that the Marie Lakes area is one of the most scenic on the whole trail. Why not just spend some time there? I arrived at Marie Lake around 11AM, set up my tent and just drank in the scenery all day. Then you can get an early start for MTR the next morning.
            Remember that MTR does not give any refunds for late arrivals. You'll lose your reservation money if you're a day late. I arrived at MTR a little before 10 without a cabin reservation and was able to get one on the spot. Might want to consider that. DrJ.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
              I have considered a zero or near zero day at Marie Lakes if I end up being early for my MTR reservation. I definitely do not want to be late since the reservation cannot be changed. That's one reason I'm giving myself lots of time on the first half of the trip in case altitude or something else slows me down. If not, I guess the question of where to spend a couple of zero days or side trips is one of the better problems to have.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013

                > The Recesses near Vermillion is a nice area. Or maybe Lake Italy.

                On my JMT Harrison Map (#7) it looks like the Lake Italy trail ends a couple of miles short of the lake. Is it a relatively easy route from there? It looks like it should be possible to keep going upstream to the lake's outlet. What's interesting is that my USFS Inyo National Forest map shows a trail all the way to Lke Italy and over Italy Pass to the Pine Creek trailhead on the east side. My Harrison map pack (purchased last year) is newer than my Inyo map (dated 1993) so maybe what used to be a maintained trail is now a use trail.
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
                  I had a trip planned to Lake Italy one year mid-June, but it was shortened by a twisted knee postholing into a void while coming down the North side of Selden Pass, so I never got there. But what I read suggested that it was not hard to continue on to Lake Italy. John Dittli would know, and probably others as well

                  On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:

                  > The Recesses near Vermillion is a nice area. Or maybe Lake Italy.

                  On my JMT Harrison Map (#7) it looks like the Lake Italy trail ends a couple of miles short of the lake. Is it a relatively easy route from there? It looks like it should be possible to keep going upstream to the lake's outlet. What's interesting is that my USFS Inyo National Forest map shows a trail all the way to Lke Italy and over Italy Pass to the Pine Creek trailhead on the east side. My Harrison map pack (purchased last year) is newer than my Inyo map (dated 1993) so maybe what used to be a maintained trail is now a use trail.

                • Dave Pex
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
                    A side trip you may want to consider is Sandpiper Lake east of Marie Lake (north of Selden Pass). Last year I camped at Marie Lake on the peninsula (highly recommended). The next day I went cross-country to Sandpiper, picked up the use trail that connects to Lou Beverly, and reconnected with the JMT. Nice side trip!

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
                      Thanks, that looks like a nice idea. One limiting factor for me is not having much experience with off trail travel, but I guess I could make the side trip to Sandpiper Lake as a round trip on the use trail rather than from Marie Lake. Being solo, I'm somewhat reluctant to go too far off trail.