Multi-day hikes around Red's Meadow

  • spencewine
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
      I was wondering if there were any good multi-day hikes around Red's? Since I've already hiked the JMT, I'm looking to explore different trails rather than just an out-and-back on the JMT. Any recommendations? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind hiking a portion on the JMT, but I'd prefer a loop or circuit (Starting and ending at Red's) or, alternatively, hiking to a place that is served by Yarts.
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "spencewine" <sdgoodwine@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if there were any good multi-day hikes around Red's? Since I've already hiked the JMT, I'm looking to explore different trails rather than just an out-and-back on the JMT. Any recommendations? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind hiking a portion on the JMT, but I'd prefer a loop or circuit (Starting and ending at Red's) or, alternatively, hiking to a place that is served by Yarts.

        Although only a couple of miles from the John Muir Trail, Lake Ediza is in a spectacular setting. I day hiked to Ediza from Agnew Meadows several years ago but I've never camped there. I believe it is possible to proceed beyond Ediza via a cross country route to Iceburg Lake and that there is a way to proceed to Minaret lake where a trail goes back to the Red's Meadow area. I'm not sure how many days the trip would require or how difficult the cross country route is.

        I've left time in my JMT thru hike itinerary to hike to Ediza from the JMT and possibly take a zero day there to explore the area and maybe hike up to Iceburg lake.
      • Kim Fishburn
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
          I think its about 50 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Reds via Vogelsang & Isberg Pass. If starting at Reds Meadow its a pretty easy cross country route through the trees after the climb above Hemlock Crossing west over to the trail near Soldier Lake(?) south of Isberg Pass.The trail heads west from Reds before starting north. I'm not sure about the condition of the trail heading north the last few miles before Hemlock Crossing. I haven't been back there since about 1991, and that section needed some work and was getting harder to follow. It really didn't look like too many people used it, but I think you'd still be able to hike it. Great views from Isberg Pass area. I'd take the high route above the Merced River! There are a couple place where you can go cross country off the trail, such as the back side of Mt Lyell.

          Kim

          _