RE: [John Muir Trail] LYV to Fresno Airport (not a permit) in ~8 hrs?

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
      "Would I be setting them up for failure or chaotic rushing? "

      Yes and yes. Even though it would pretty much be all downhill from say, LYV, . . . it's still going to be, no doubt, a good three hours of, hot plodding,  just to get down to Happy Isles and if your car isn't parked there in the HI long term parking that means waiting for a bus and then . . .

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/mileages9-2007.pdf

      BOB

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 02:03:48 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] LYV to Fresno Airport (not a permit) in ~8 hrs?

      Yosemite frequenters:

      My father and girlfriend are joining me for the start of my JMT hike and I am wondering if they will be able to smoothly exit Yosemite and arrive at the Fresno airport in time for their flights. This will be my first time to Yosemite, so I am not familiar with the time it takes to get in and out of the park.

      Our general itinerary begins with the restriction of Glacier Point to Illilouette Creek permits. On day two we will meet with the JMT and summit Clouds Rest. We will then camp near the Clouds Rest/JMT junction or backtrack to LYV, if allowed.

      At the butt crack of dawn on day 3, would it be possible for them to hike back into the valley, jump into the rental car and make it to the Fresno airport in time for ~3pm flights (the latest ones available that are not red-eye) back to TX? Would I be setting them up for failure or chaotic rushing?

      Thanks!

      Joe