Northbound permit reservation process (detailed instructions) assuming entry via New Army Pass (or Cottonwood)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
      These are detailed instructions for a Northbound JMT trip permit leaving from Horseshoe Meadows Campground in Inyo NF via New Army Pass (with suggested modifications for going via Cottonwood Pass)

      My permit is not yet available, but I did a dry run today on the process. To share what I learned with others who may have similar plans, here's a detailed step-by-step set of instructions.

      I'm listing these, in part, because if you enter something obvious, like "New Army Pass" or "Horseshoe Meadows" in the initial Recreation.gov search box, it doesn't lead anywhere useful - you have to get to it in a roundabout fashion via Cottonwood Lakes (which is the trial you start out on via New Army and close to the entry trailhead for Cottonwood Pass)

      Go to Recreation.gov

      In the "where" search box type Cottonwood Lakes and you will see a pull-down list that includes

      COTTONWOOD LAKES, INYO NATIONAL FOREST, CALIFORNIA, USA

      Click on it so it fills in the "Where" box

      Note: If you want to access the PCT/JMT via Cottonwood Pass, rather than New Army Pass, you later will get a chance to chose your trail and can choose Cottonwood Pass there

      Under the "Interested in" box, click on "Permits & Wilderness"

      Click the Search button

      Click on Inyo National Forest, Wilderness Permits

      Click on "Overnight" (other options if you want to include Whitney)

      In the Trail pull-down box, select "Cottonwood Lakes JM39" (which is on your way to New Army Pass - New Army isn't listed among the choices)

      Here's where you can select  "Cottonwood Pass" if you want to go that way rather than via New Army.

      Enter your entry date and party size and hit the search button

      If you date is not available, click on Search for next available date

      Click on the box under the date that reads A (for available) and the number of permits still available

      Click on "Book Permit"

      In the Exit Point pull-down list, select "JMT North of Devil's Postpile" (assuming you are going at least past there)

      Select your exit date

      You then are supposed to list each night's destination

      For the first night you will have a very limited choice of destinations, but choose SEKI - Army Pass even if you plan to go past it (or one of the listed locations if you are going over the pass on day 2)

      For the later nights, you have many more choices including "SEKI-Other" (if you can't find a specific SEKI location) and "Yosetmite-Identify location in notes" (if you can't find a Yosemite location) and "Other/Don't know" Unfortunately, the system does not allow you to complete each night as "Other/Don't know" (I tried that) though it will does some entries like that

      My list was pretty fictional, since I generally camp when and where I feel like it, but because they wanted entries and I figured I should give them a rough idea of where I might be. So for a 20-day hike with one zero day at MTR, I listed spots about 10-12 miles apart

      1 - SEKI Army Pass
      2 - SEKI - Center Basin
      3 - SEKI - Other/Don't know
      4 - SEKI - Baxter Pass
      5 - SEKI - Other/Don't know
      6 - SEKI - Palisade basin
      7 - SEKI - Paradise Valley
      8 - SEKI - Evolution Basin
      9 - SEKI - Other/Don't know
      10 - Senger Creek JMT (actually MTR, but they don't list it)
      11 - Senger Creek - JMT
      12 - Bear Creek - JMT
      13 - Other/Don't know
      14 - Deer Creek and JMT Junction
      15 - Trinity Lakes  JMT
      16 - Thousand Is Lakes JMT
      17 - Yosemite - Tuolumne Meadows / Lyell Canyon
      18 - Yosemite - Tuolumne Meadows / Lyell Canyon
      19 - Yosemite - JMT - Little Yosemite

      Note that there aren't a lot of sites listed for YNP, so I just selected something in my anticipated general vicinity

      Select "Foot" under Travel Method

      You select your permit pick-up location - Eastern Sierra Inter-Agency VC (in Lone Pine) was my choice and probably the most convenient to most people since you have to go through Lone Pine to get to the trailhead.

      Click on "Yes, I have read and understood this important information."

      Click on Continue to Shopping Cart

      From there it is obvious. Cost for one person was $11. I think each extra person is $5. Might be an extra cost if you want to include a Whitney visit ans a sidetrip.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2013
        Forgot to include one important point.

        Inyo NF wilderness permit reservations come available 6 months before entry date.

        So today (Feb 8) would be first date to reserve a permit for an entry on August 8

        From there it is obvious. Cost for one person was $11. I think each extra person is $5. Might be an extra cost if you want to include a Whitney visit ans a sidetrip.