Permit application strategy question

  • marian21cohen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
      If we apply on Feb 11 (for July 29) for the Happy Isles-Illilouette permit, and get it, can we apply the next day (Feb 12, for July 30) for the permit that we really want - Glacier Point-LYV - and, if we get that one, just cancel the first permit?

      Or are they likely to disqualify us from the second application if they see that they have already issued us a permit?

      Any advice much appreciated as it's getting down to the wire!

      Thanks,

      Marian and Steve Cohen
    • Spencer Goodwine

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
          I asked this question specifically a few months ago of a ranger on the phone. He said yes, you can do this, but there will be no refund of the fee you paid for the first permit.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, marian21cohen wrote:

          > If we apply on Feb 11 (for July 29) for the Happy Isles-Illilouette permit, and get it, can we apply the next day (Feb 12, for July 30) for the permit that we really want - Glacier Point-LYV - and, if we get that one, just cancel the first permit?
          >
          > Or are they likely to disqualify us from the second application if they see that they have already issued us a permit?
          >
          > Any advice much appreciated as it's getting down to the wire!
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Marian and Steve Cohen

        • ravi_jmt2013
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2013
            Please take this with a grain of salt because I have yet to go through the process (and I'm new to all of this) but I have noticed that the Illilouette permits (either from HI or GP) do not seem to be in particularly high demand based on the full trailhead report:

            http://www.nps.gov/featurecontent/yose/upload/rptFullTrailheadDates.htm

            Only three days are full from HI and four days are full from GP as of February 7.

            I plan to apply for my desired permit on the first day of availability but none of my three alternatives will include Illilouette. I plan to go for Happy Isles Pass through, Happy Isles to LYV, and Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley in that order. If I get none of these options, then I plan to call the wilderness office that afternoon and request a Happy Isles to Illilouette permit for entry one day prior to my desired entry date if I got any of my first three choices. This is because I think going up Illilouette trail will require one additional day for my hike and to keep the end date the same I would have to start one day earlier. I presume that is also what you are trying to accomplish based on your desire to get the HI>>Illilouette permit the day prior to what you really want.

            The fallback to my Illilouette fallback plan is to use the Mono Meadows option which also seems to be in low demand (just four dates are full so far).

            And of course if I can only get the less desirable options, based on what many have said here I would have a good chance of "upgrading" my permit to something more desirable once I arrive in Yosemite Valley for my hike. But this way I at least have something in my pocket to use for planning.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, marian21cohen wrote:

            > If we apply on Feb 11 (for July 29) for the Happy Isles-Illilouette permit, and get it, can we apply the next day (Feb 12, for July 30) for the permit that we really want - Glacier Point-LYV - and, if we get that one, just cancel the first permit?
            >
            > Or are they likely to disqualify us from the second application if they see that they have already issued us a permit?
            >
            > Any advice much appreciated as it's getting down to the wire!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Marian and Steve Cohen

          • marian21cohen
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
              Thanks, Spencer, Gail, and Ravi for your responses, all of which were very helpful! Ravi, you guessed right about the reasoning behind our strategy. However, thanks to your observation that we should not have a problem getting a 'back-dated' HI-Illilouette permit (for July 29) by phone if we don't succeed in getting the GP-LYV or HI-LYV or HI-Sunrise Passthru permit for July 30, we're going to switch to your strategy instead. Many thanks!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" wrote:

              > Please take this with a grain of salt because I have yet to go through the process (and I'm new to all of this) but I have noticed that the Illilouette permits (either from HI or GP) do not seem to be in particularly high demand based on the full trailhead report:
              >
              > http://www.nps.gov/featurecontent/yose/upload/rptFullTrailheadDates.htm
              >
              > Only three days are full from HI and four days are full from GP as of February 7.
              >
              > I plan to apply for my desired permit on the first day of availability but none of my three alternatives will include Illilouette. I plan to go for Happy Isles Pass through, Happy Isles to LYV, and Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley in that order. If I get none of these options, then I plan to call the wilderness office that afternoon and request a Happy Isles to Illilouette permit for entry one day prior to my desired entry date if I got any of my first three choices. This is because I think going up Illilouette trail will require one additional day for my hike and to keep the end date the same I would have to start one day earlier. I presume that is also what you are trying to accomplish based on your desire to get the HI>>Illilouette permit the day prior to what you really want.
              >
              > The fallback to my Illilouette fallback plan is to use the Mono Meadows option which also seems to be in low demand (just four dates are full so far).
              >
              > And of course if I can only get the less desirable options, based on what many have said here I would have a good chance of "upgrading" my permit to something more desirable once I arrive in Yosemite Valley for my hike. But this way I at least have something in my pocket to use for planning.
              >

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, marian21cohen wrote:
              > >
              > > If we apply on Feb 11 (for July 29) for the Happy Isles-Illilouette permit, and get it, can we apply the next day (Feb 12, for July 30) for the permit that we really want - Glacier Point-LYV - and, if we get that one, just cancel the first permit?
              > >
              > > Or are they likely to disqualify us from the second application if they see that they have already issued us a permit?
              > >
              > > Any advice much appreciated as it's getting down to the wire!
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Marian and Steve Cohen

            • charliepolecat
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
                I replied to this earlier but the message never showed, so here it is again:

                I faxed my application for an HI permit 5 times (5 days running) with no success, then I called the wilderness office ( be prepared to spend a lot of time trying to get through) and the lady in the office suggested the GP/LYV option and I took it.

                So, be patient and don't give up.